Author Topic: Avast Web shield  (Read 53551 times)

DAV2

Re: Avast Web shield
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2011, 07:37:27 PM »
Thank you again David. From your reply. I guess the above post of task manager and netstat are normal and I can focus in on finding out why the file Forexst..... that is not running/loaded and not even in the working programs directory, but is fixed in the download directory file only is getting targeted. I again apologize for not being computer literate. Thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »
Well I suspect that they are OK. However I haven't the slightest idea how the Forex software works, which is why it really needs someone who uses the software to confirm that this is how it works on their system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DAV2

« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »
David thank you for all your help. In another couple of decades, I might just become a computer expert. I noticed that today is "IPv6" day. I disabled IPv6, but the test of its function says it is working just fine with "Teredo" connectivity directly to IP's. That is normal? Maybe that is why Win7 Pro sets up "Teredo" by default and starts unknown networks by default??? I am still working on that decade learning curve. Can you reassure me that this is OK. Thanks.
(The computer successfully connected to a IPv6 site in the test without any security notification whatsoever, but it states it will not work in a browser. In other words, the computer/Win Pro 7 can connect IPv6 (through all security programs without notification), but I blocked my use of it in my browser.  Is this normal?) See attached. IPv6 is disabled. (but 3544 is the IPv6 port)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:20:42 PM by DAV2 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »
IPv6 day won't effect anyone directly as far as I'm aware it just checks if those accessing sites can do so using an IPv6 IP address. If they can't then they would access it normally using IPv4.

Personally I'm not even thinking about IPv6 as it is still some way off and this my main system (XP Pro) and my netbook (win7) both fail the IPv6 test. This is no doubt due to my ISP not yet being ready for IPv6 and that is outside my control, so not something that I am going to worry about.

I really have no idea about the IPv6 port (never looked into it, but the actual IP address is an IPv4 IP address. So I can't see the purpose in their using that port in conjunction with IPv4. Other than to possible see if it is able to use the protocol.

So the upshot is I really don't know if it is normal or not.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DAV2

« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2011, 03:38:08 AM »
David, thanks. This load is very very very old. Maybe 1-2 months. Maybe I need to trash it (Win7 Pro flavor 7.1) and start over for the ??? time. I am starting to get all sorts of error/crashes/instability. I have not run an Avast scan of a full backup, but that is where I start to see trogons/etc. Stopped doing that, because that was the only way I could figure out to stop it. I will have to give this some thought. In any event, I am learning as I trash. Thanks again for all the help. (I blocked IPv6 at the router, since disabling it only gave absolute control of it to Windows to connect to whatever IP and no oversight of it to myself)

DAV2

« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »
Is Avast designed NOT to work in safe mode? Is Avast designed NOT to allow bootscan from safe mode? Thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2011, 07:32:43 PM »
That is the whole purpose of 'safe mode' it runs a minimal program set so you can resolve conflicts, etc.

You can manually start avast in safe mode to do an on-demand scan, but I don't know if it extends to being able to make changes to the registry (required) to be able to schedule a boot-time scan.