Author Topic: Is this how Avast 5.1.864 File System Shield suppose to work?  (Read 9161 times)

DarkMasters

Re: Is this how Avast 5.1.864 File System Shield suppose to work?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 01:45:56 AM »
Why don't you send the virus samples to Virus Total to see what turns up? Also, are these trojans zipped? Avast won't scan these if they are zipped unless you change the settings in the file shield. Once they are extracted Avast will scan them.

You're right about the trojans and keyloggers are in a zip file and my file system shield settings for packers is at it's default (self-extracting executables, droppers, and NTFS streams). Thanks, that explains about copying.

However, I'm still wondering about on access scanning thing since most of the viruses and dialers are in executable form (not zipped) and I know that the old version of Avast warns me when I open the folder containing this files while the new version didn't do anything.

DarkMasters

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 02:02:20 AM »
Will you read my post above and comment on it? I would like to see if Avast as well as other scanners are detecting it at Virus Total. And would like to know if the files you are copying are zipped.

Most of the malware samples in my DVD are things which I collect from internet by using Linux and scanning it in Linux, cleaning my friends computer, and from internet cafe. Any security products such as Norton, McAffee, ClamWin, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, Security Essentials, Avast recognize it as virus, trojans, etc.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 02:07:51 AM »
Why don't you send the virus samples to Virus Total to see what turns up? Also, are these trojans zipped? Avast won't scan these if they are zipped unless you change the settings in the file shield. Once they are extracted Avast will scan them.

You're right about the trojans and keyloggers are in a zip file and my file system shield settings for packers is at it's default (self-extracting executables, droppers, and NTFS streams). Thanks, that explains about copying.

However, I'm still wondering about on access scanning thing since most of the viruses and dialers are in executable form (not zipped) and I know that the old version of Avast warns me when I open the folder containing this files while the new version didn't do anything.

What happens when you right click scan the virus files and dialers? The thing is you are opening the folder but not yet accessing the file.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:15:07 AM by Charyb »

DarkMasters

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 02:15:50 AM »
What happens when you right click scan the virus and dialers?

Avast do recognize it. But, what I'm trying to say is the 5.0.677 warns me when I open the folder which contains this files eventhough I'm not scanning the folder, while the new Avast didn't do it.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 02:26:18 AM »
There is no way I can answer this. I don't know what defaults have changed in the scanning process if any. Maybe someone else will have the answer to this. It seems to be scanning properly as far as I understand it.

DarkMasters

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 02:43:55 AM »
Yup, you're right it does scanning properly. It's only one different behavior, it's quite matter though. Before this, I thought it's because of the bad update process. Now, I've install it clean and it's still the same which means either I accept it or rolling back to the old version.

DarkMasters

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 02:45:34 AM »
Though, I'm still hoping there's someone who can confirm me about this...

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 03:42:21 AM »
Yup, you're right it does scanning properly. It's only one different behavior, it's quite matter though. Before this, I thought it's because of the bad update process. Now, I've install it clean and it's still the same which means either I accept it or rolling back to the old version.

I wouldn't go back. Unless it is a new behavior that you completely dislike. Something may have changed for you but that doesn't mean it isn't a better product. Avast keeps getting better and better with each new release.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:51:40 AM by Charyb »

DarkMasters

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
Yeah. You're right. I do like a new behavior shield and the boot-time scan which now working. It's quite useful in case I got my system compromise.