Author Topic: Avast hides/disables caps/num/scroll lock icons in systray...  (Read 4695 times)

Summerbear6

Avast hides/disables caps/num/scroll lock icons in systray...
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:57:59 PM »
I personally like the Caps/Num/Scroll Lock icon indicators in the system tray...

Recently I downloaded Avast and fully updated it. Upon system restart these icons were hidden or disabled. I permanently disabled Avast and restarted computer and they popped up again. I've searched though the settings in Avast to figure out what might be causing this to happen and didn't find anything. I'm a new user to Avast and would like to continue to use it if I can get this situation fixed. If not I will have no choice but to uninstall...

If anyone has a solution please let me know.

I'm windows vista 64 bit fully updated via windows update and using Avast 5.1.864

Need anymore information just ask. Thanks ahead of time.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast hides/disables caps/num/scroll lock icons in systray...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:10:06 PM »
This has nothing to do with avast! - it just adds one icon into the system tray, doesn't do anything with the others.
If some icons got hidden, it was done by the operating system itself. Try to rightclick the tray and configure the handling of inactive icons, for example.

Summerbear6

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:41:37 PM »
Well I'm saying it does have something to do with Avast. For as long as I've owned and used this computer I have never had a problem with the system tray icons being hidden or removed until I installed Avast. Once Avast is disabled and/or Uninstalled the system icons start working again which is a sign that it is Avast. Sorry you feel it isn't...I will be uninstalling Avast then.

I'm not computer illiterate.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:46:21 PM »
@Summerbear6

What program are you using to show cap, num and scroll lock in system tray?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:49:49 PM »
@ Charyb
A little off-topic confirmation for you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:50:32 PM »
OK, let me rephrase: if the process responsible for showing the icons is running/working, then avast! has nothing to do with that - it doesn't interfere with the icons in any way.
If the process doesn't even start, then it might... so the question is - is the program running? As Charyb asked, what tool is that?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 11:54:44 PM »
Is there an upward arrow on your taskbar ? If so click it and see what it says

If it is not there then right click the notification area and select properties, then select customise icons - can you restore it from there ?

Summerbear6

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 12:30:17 AM »
I'm not running any special program to get these notification icons in the system tray. It's a default HP thing that was installed. YES it's running and working to my knowledge except for when Avast is active on startup...

I have even went as far as reformating the computer back to factory default (it needed it anyways) and only installing Avast. SAME PROBLEM!

Don't worry about having to help me find a solution I have already uninstalled Avast and will not be using. Do not worry about responding to this post anymore as it doesn't do me any good now.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 12:32:18 AM »
Erm, that's not what I meant - I was asking whether the process is running when avast is active.
Well, never mind.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 12:36:57 AM »
Igor
I poked around a bit and this might be what the program is called.
HP Desktop Keyboard On-Screen Display (OSD) Software

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:40:22 AM by Charyb »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 12:43:28 AM »
Well, what I needed was to find out whether the corresponding process is running on the machine when avast is active (according to a download from HP, the process would probably be HPKEYBOARDx.EXE or Keystatus.exe).
If the startup of the program were blocked, it might have been a problem of 5.1.864 (and of course, its icon(s) wouldn't be shown in that case, but that's basically just a side effect).