Author Topic: Avast and Email O/E ?  (Read 10037 times)

Barr_y

Avast and Email O/E ?
« on: August 25, 2004, 08:49:00 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum and have recently downloaded Avast version 4.1 Home Edition and I must confess I had never heard of this Antivirus program before. I actually found it in Freebyte' guide to free Antivirus software, and thought I would try it instead of my Norton Antivirus 2002 which is no longer supported. I can't get to grips with the e-mail though because I keep getting this attached message. I do use Firetrust B9 with my mailwasher. To be honest I can't understand how to set it up in Outlook Express.
Sorry I thought I could upload a gif, any way this is the message.

Avast will not be able to to protect incoming mail(Pop3)
Error 10048
Port 110 is already in use specify another port etc.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 09:01:01 PM by Barr_y »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast and Email O/E ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 10:00:22 PM »
Port 110 is already in use specify another port etc.

Probably you have another spam killer than Mailwasher or another email client (program) using the port 110.
You can set each email account to use 120 (Tools > Accounts > Email > select one> Properties > Advanced > choose port 120.

Let avast at 110.
Test if your emails get scanned by avast into Outlook Express.
Wellcome to forums  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Barr_y

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 10:32:25 PM »
Thank you for welcome and reply. I see where to do that in O/E but am wondering if that would affect my Firetrust B9 set-up if I change the port to 120. This program changes zipped files and also changes the name of new unidentified files and works on 110, so am a bit loathe to change it. It didn't interfere with Norton, nor did it with AVG so I can't understand this at all. Could you please explain what "Let avast at 110" means please.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 11:15:00 PM »
Thank you for welcome and reply. I see where to do that in O/E but am wondering if that would affect my Firetrust B9 set-up if I change the port to 120. This program changes zipped files and also changes the name of new unidentified files and works on 110, so am a bit loathe to change it.

avast uses the localhost (127.0.0.1) to scan the emails. The messages are received by your ISP and delivered to avast Mail service at the localhost, scanned, and then sent to your email client. I don't know how AVG and Norton works. I used both but I only 'learn' about antivirus using avast.

You must change OE not Firetrust  ;)

I can't understand this at all. Could you please explain what "Let avast at 110" means please.

Do nothing... The default port for avast to scan is the 110.
The best things in life are free.

Barr_y

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 11:59:12 PM »
Thank you once again but when it was changed in O/E to 127.0.0.1,
 I got an error reply " connections are allowed only from local host" (127.0.0.1 is not a local address) Port 110 secure (SSL) no server error: 0x800CCC90 Error number.

I maybe think this is all to do with my B9 which I don't know if it has been tried with Avast before. I also learn about different Antivirus programs by writing tutorials on them in my web site for beginners, but this one has stumped me, I couldn't even find the INi file it said to change in the DATA folder, when manually trying to put the email accounts on.  I have my own Server in my web sites.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 12:15:35 AM »
As far as I am aware B9 also changes the OE account settings, appending .b9 to the end of the mail server details. It also edits the Host file to intercept the .b9 connect to mail server.

Avast does the same thing but does it by chamging the pop3 server address to 127.0.0.1.

Both programs are effectively intercepting email in order to check it before it ends up in your inbox or before it sends email to your smtp server.

Again as far as I am aware there is no way for both programs to do this at the same time, too much likelyhood for conflict.

I used to use B9, I even bought it but I didn't like the way it left the pop2 port 110 and smtp port 25 visible so I ended up uninstalling it. This was when I used AVG, so I felt slightly vulnerable. Now I have avast taking care of my email. There is however other functionality in B9 that you may not want to give up (script and malicious code blocking/stripping), the choice is yours but I believe you will only ever be able to run one.

There has been a similar post about another mail scanner that intercepts email and that looks like both can't run together.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Barr_y

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 12:36:28 PM »
Thank you David. I did uninstall avast as it was frustrating me, but in my FreshDownload program I noticed it only downloaded 98%, so I have just re-downloaded,  and this time it is showing 100% so think I will have another go, as I do like it. You are right about B9 leaving your computer exposed, I did a check with Symantec and saw the port was not closed. So maybe like you I will try set this up again then perhaps uninstall B9. I don't open all e-mails anyway, especially as half of them are rubish. I go onto my ISP and clear my bulk folder. l Can't tell you how many Banks have asked me for my security details as they are updating their computers. Phishing is the frase I think. Thank you once again for your help will let you know how I get on.

Barr_y

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 04:26:45 PM »
Now I am wondering what advantage does Avast have over AVG.  AVG doesn't alter anything if I leave it checking my emails, even with B9 switched on. If I do decide to keep B9 which as you say David has some pretty good advantages from (malicious code blocking/stripping) and that has been a good advantage recently. The alternative would be to only turn B9 on when bringing my e-mail into O/E then turning it off when it has finished, so it doesn't leave any ports showing. I know I can do exactly the same with Avast, by turning off e-mail scanning and allowing B9 to do its job. So all I need to know now is what makes Avast better than AVG?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 06:51:15 PM »
AVG doesn't alter anything if I leave it checking my emails, even with B9 switched on

That is because it doesn't scan your email before it reaches the inbox, so any potential virus is already on you system. B9 (and avast) realise that is not a good idea, so they intercept email and scan it before it gets to the inbox.

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water, avast is far better than AVG. I know I used it for more than 18 months and got totally fed up with its interface and its cr*p updates. It really doesn't hold a candle to avast, it doesn't have any means of doing a boot time scan (win2K/XP), protection for IM, P2P and is much more flexible than AVG. When I switched to avast, on the first scan after installation it found two viruses that had hapilly resided under AVG for god knows how long.

These forums have many, many ex AVG users who are more than happy having made the switch

Oh and try getting any help or support from AVG, no chance (no support for free version), unless of course you buy the Pro version. You have probably had more of a response and help whilst trying avast than you have ever had from AVG.

You can probably see the kind of people that frequent these forums, they have a common purpose to help other avast users get the best out of the product. For the most part these people are just like you and I, avast users. There is however, excellent support and help from the Alwil Staff who are regular contributors on these forums and very quick response to suggestions, etc. You really can't put a value on this but it is just one of the things that puts avast head and shoulders above avg.

The alternative as I see it is simple, don't use avast for your mail scanning, leaving your mail account settings set-up for B9 and allow B9 to look after your email. If an email contains a suspect attachment which B9 changes the filename and you still insist on opening it (after renaming it by removing the .b9), save the attachment to your HDD and scan with avast before opening.

The Standard Scanner can have the sensisivity set to high and scan all created/modified files and this would also pick up potential virus infection
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Barr_y

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 07:10:30 PM »
Thank you again David, to tell the truth I didn't need that much convincing. I was waiting for a reply like that before I put Avast back on and uninstalled AVG. I never usually ask for help because I like finding out things for myself, but as I said I haven't heard of Avast before visiting Freebyte's. I never have and never will open anything with an attachment, I always save them to a folder and scan first. I might do as you suggest with avast and keep B9, even the e-mail  notification of reply I switched B9 on then off again after it was in O/E. I can also try my two web site accounts with a different port number and see how Avast works.  I do appreciate the advise I have had from this forum, I know I wouldn't get that from AVG.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 09:20:20 PM »
Glad to be able to help and hopefully put your mind at rest.

There is lost of information in the avast help file and throughout these forums.

I would recommend that you browse the forums and check out these threads, User's FAQ and General Advice & Tools for virus/trojan/malware removal, nothing like being prepared prior to any event.

Barr_y

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 09:30:43 PM »
Ok I said I would let you know how I got on.  I have now installed the Avast Home Edition turned off my B9 and set up my mail accounts on automatic. Downloaded the Matrix skin for boys, although I am passed being a boy, but still love science fiction. I am really pleased with it. I can see it is a lot more advanced than AVG, and certainly not as difficult as I first thought. I hope this will just convince anybody else that was having thoughts on Avast.  Would it be possible for me to write about this on my web site andd link to it? I like doing it as I am retired and like something to do. You can see my web site for beginners at http://www.safety1stcomputing.co.uk

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 11:19:17 PM »
Hi Barry,

This would be something for the Alwil staff/moderators to approve, I have however, brought this to there attention.

Having seen what you have done in your site, there doesnt appear to be anything controvercial and doesn't make any claims for your previous AV - AVG, just a personal recommendation.

Assuming that the same sort of recommendation for avast and a link to the avast website, I don't think it would be a problem. However as I don't work for Alwil I can't make that call.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 11:47:01 PM »
Of course, Internet is a free medium. You can publish pretty much anything on your site.

And for sure, we won't mind if you give avast some attention on your site. In fact we'd appreciate it. :)

Cheers,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Barr_y

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 11:47:22 PM »
Thanks for looking at my site David. Maybe I should ask Awil!  I thought of taking out the AVG tutorial and putting it in the Security links, then having Avast as my main Antivirus choice.  I help people by e-mail at the moment, and also go to their houses quite often to fix things because they don't know about Firewalls and security programs, I do that free.   I thought it would just be a good idea to send them to my web site to see how to do simple things,with picture tutorials, as most beginners find that a lot easier to follow.