Author Topic: Avast and Email O/E ?  (Read 9969 times)

Barr_y

Re:Avast and Email O/E ?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2004, 11:20:15 AM »
Thank you Vik. I will get used to it a little bit more and then start writing the tutorial for it with pictures, as I have done with all the others on my site. Although I haven't had much response through my guestbook as yet. I do have a lot of e-mails from forums where I have directed people to it and am pleased to say with good results.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2004, 11:36:39 AM »
You mean something like Iso-G has done for Japanese users? http://www.iso-g.com/alwil/avast_home/avast_home.html

That would be really nice... :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Barr_y

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 12:04:03 PM »
No not quite like that. My site is aimed at people who have just come into computing and half afraid of turning it on, like I was when I first got mine. I didn't have a clue how you switched it on, let alone knowing there were people who liked to spoil things for everyone. Have a look http://safety1stcomputing.co.uk

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »
You mean something like Iso-G has done for Japanese users? http://www.iso-g.com/alwil/avast_home/avast_home.html

That would be really nice... :)

Vlk, would it be possible - probably Kubec or Pavel should say something - have a space on Alwil website for the translators to make (create) translated versio of the avast webpage?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 02:23:28 PM »
Personally, I think it's not a problem of "space". I believe it would be possible to give the translator access to a special web application where it's possible to create the localized versions of the particular pages.
However... the web is rather big (it contains a lot of pages - information about old viruses, ...). It would be a big work to translate it all.
Translating just the main pages (product info?) would be easier... supposing we would accept the fact that the translated (e.g. Portuguese) versions of the pages would contain many English pages as well.

Of course, such a translation requires basic HTML knowledge...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2004, 02:28:17 PM »
Such a thing is in fact in preparation! Igor, I thought you were aware of this... ;)

We'll have a stripped-down version of the avast website (basically, the static contents, i.e. the presentation of the products) and will ask our translators/distributors to translate this version to their language. This should be started pretty soon, actually - as soon as we finish preparation of the publishing system (it will be much more user-friendly to the translators than editing of all the HTML files and also much easier to manage for us...).

Cheers,
Vlk

Barr_y

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2004, 07:22:30 PM »
Apologies Vlk should have put my glasses on. Looked like Vik on my computer. Thanks for pointing that out David

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2004, 10:48:17 PM »
FYI Many people call me "Vik" and I'm quite used to it. It just it sounds much better in English than Vlk, and actually has a meaning, too (Viking). :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2004, 11:45:57 PM »
Such a thing is in fact in preparation! Igor, I thought you were aware of this... ;)

We'll have a stripped-down version of the avast website (basically, the static contents, i.e. the presentation of the products) and will ask our translators/distributors to translate this version to their language. This should be started pretty soon, actually - as soon as we finish preparation of the publishing system (it will be much more user-friendly to the translators than editing of all the HTML files and also much easier to manage for us...).

Cheers,
Vlk

I discovered that you already has a reseller in my country... as you never said a word about translating the web page... I think my offer won't be necessary  :-[
The best things in life are free.