Author Topic: Low internet connection, How to download last Avast version with the last virus?  (Read 5048 times)

philparis

Hello, I've a very low internet connection (notebook connects via my mobile phone) How to download the last Avast update version with the last virus update from my desk computer hight speed internet connection and save it on usb key and then to install to my notebook?
My notebook try to download the last version and my internet is lowiest, too diifcult to use internet at the same time and the download ask some hours.
Thank you very much by advance.
Phil

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Download the setup files from the website.
Download the update here: http://www.avast.com/download-update
The best things in life are free.

philparis

Thank you for your answer, but I only can download "Avast 5 VPS update, version 5.0.0, size 31MB", this is Avast 5.0.0 but now this is Avast 5.0.677!
Do you think the download link is with the last version with the last virus update?
Thank by advance for your answer.
Phil

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The virus definitions download are the full virus database and not directly related to the program version/build that you are running other than it is for either avast 5.0 or avast 4.8.

So it will have the latest up to the point when that database was placed on the server for downloading. It will periodically be refreshed on the server.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

philparis

You mean, this is the last database virus, but not the last update Avast version?

On my desk computer the version is 5.0.677 and on my notebook it's 5.0.545.
When I'm connected on internet My notebook start to download pro_ais.vpx of 30Mo, too heavy for my connection. I don't know how to defenely to stop this download. And I would like to have the last version.
Thank you again for your help.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Latest program version

Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.677  http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You mean, this is the last database virus, but not the last update Avast version?

On my desk computer the version is 5.0.677 and on my notebook it's 5.0.545.
When I'm connected on internet My notebook start to download pro_ais.vpx of 30Mo, too heavy for my connection. I don't know how to defenely to stop this download. And I would like to have the last version.
Thank you again for your help.

It will have the complete virus database at the time it was placed on the servers for download, I can't say more than that.

If you have Internet connection for that system and this full virus definitions download is for that system, then you should use the regular auto update or manual virus definitions update; this only downloads the incremental differences between what you have and the latest virus definitions version.

If you do this on a regular basis then the virus definitions updates would be measured in KBs rather than MBs. Even if you only did it weekly, which I wouldn't recommend if you are using the netbook regularly, it would still be considerably smaller than 30MB, perhaps 1MB, 2MB tops (it depends on how long you leave it).
#
Pondus gives the link for the latest program version, I would recommend that you get this on your desktop and transfer on USB stick and install on your netbook as it is around 50MB in size.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:42:33 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

philparis

Ok Thank you for the information, I've downloaded the 5.0.677 version from filehippo.com.
I will install it when I will be with my notebook.
I will let you know when I will come back, end of december.

If any person has more informations, you can let it.
Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.

philparis

Hi, It's great, Avast is update and properly working after install the new version.
Thank you again and Hapyy new year.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Good news, thanks for the feedback.

A Happy New Year to you too.