Author Topic: 5.1.864 screws up boot up Win XP home edition  (Read 6215 times)

morzh

5.1.864 screws up boot up Win XP home edition
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »
I have DELL 8100 and Win XP Home, fully updated.

Today I updated AVAST to the latest, through its own update routine.
After it requested reboot, and the XP boots up, it then pops up the message:

"There is no disk in the drive.
Please insert a disk into drive
\Device\Harddisk1\DR1."

This message persists and I have to reboot, with the same result.

I restored the WIndows to yesterday, which disabled 2 out of 6 AVAST shields. After this a;; worked fine, but as soon as i Updated them again (Definition was what it asked to update), and re-booted, the problem re-appeared.

I now uninstalled AVAST and all works fine except I do not have antivirus now.

What is going on?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 5.1.864 screws up boot up Win XP home edition
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:26:46 PM »
Did you have an earlier version of avast installed ?
If so a clean reinstall may be enough to resolve this, see #### below.

If it doesn't resolve it, it could be this:
There appears to be a conflict between the avast behaviour shield and some low level drivers including some by Dells, but this has tended to be the laptops. They are working on this and hopefully there will be a program update soon to resolve it.

Try reinstall avast, but do a clean, but custom install, this allows you to deselect components/shields and uncheck the Behaviour Shield and continue the installation.

This assumes you are using avast free.
####
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.1.864 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe (English only) and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

morzh

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:50:12 PM »
Thanks, First thing I did was uninstall AVAST from the Safe mode.

That should mean I do not need STEP2, correct?

I will download again as the previous one was downloaded by AVAST itself and I do not know where it is, and it may potentially be corrupted.

I have non-OEM WIn XP, as I bought it separately in 2001 and have been updating since; DELL did not come with it, so I don't think it's DELL issue.

I have been using AVAST for about 3 years to date now, and there's been very few problems, and only this one is such a terminal type.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:54:01 PM by morzh »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Thanks, First thing I did was uninstall AVAST from the Safe mode.

That should mean I do not need STEP2, correct?

I will download again as the previous one was downloaded by AVAST itself and I do not know where it is, and it may potentially be corrupted.

I have non-OEM WIn XP, as I bought it separately in 2001 and have been updating since; DELL did not come with it, so I don't think it's DELL issue.

I have been using AVAST for about 3 years to date now, and there's been very few problems, and only this one is such a terminal type.

Hi Morzh: I would suggest following DavidR's directions. Whether or not you uninstalled Avast in safe mode or from Add and Remove Normal Mode, The clean up tool (aswclear.exe) is exactly that> it cleans up remnants that are left behind and not removed by uninstalls :)

Edit: Be sure you choose the version you had installed. If you've had previous versions installed, you have to run the tool seperately again for each version.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:01:33 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »
Dell is a system manufacturer and not an application/program, etc. so the Dell 8100 would come with drivers, though I don't know if the upgrade to XP would have had any impact on the issue with Dell notebooks.

So I would go with the clean reinstall, including the running of the avast Uninstall Utility as you had been having problems before the uninstall.

There shouldn't be a need for step 1 as you have done that, but you should run the uninstall utility from safe mode prior to a reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

morzh

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
I did all three steps.

I downloaded the cleanup tool you gave me, and uninstalled both v4 and v5.
I downloaded the AVAST from the link you gave me and installed it.

When installing, right prior to doing the "quick scan" it gave me the same diagnostics as the one I initially complained about. I pressed cancel several times, and it started "QUick scan".
After finishing it, and having said "You successfully installed blah-blah", it again started the "insert disk" nonsense, and now I had to re-boot again, go to Safe mode, and uninstall AVAST.

Now I am not installing it until I hear the problem has been fixed.
Meantime I have to find another tool, as I cannot run with no Antivirus.

PS. I have just downloaded in instaled 5.0.677 from CNET and it runs fine. You guys screwed up something in that last release.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:18:35 PM by morzh »

morzh

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
So anything new? I could see some other people had similar, albeit not exact same, problem.

yongsua

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:50:45 PM »
So anything new? I could see some other people had similar, albeit not exact same, problem.

Try the pre-release version 5.1.874.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 04:26:45 PM »

Just FYI..well it is at times inconveniant (and not supposed to be that way) a  couple of reboots has solved almost every little glitch I have incountered during the beta and release process. I have had "very few" but the ones I have had the reboots helped. :-\
Just my experience ;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 07:41:36 PM »

+1
Problems with Dell should be fixed now..!
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68927.0
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

morzh

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »

Just FYI..well it is at times inconveniant (and not supposed to be that way) a  couple of reboots has solved almost every little glitch I have incountered during the beta and release process. I have had "very few" but the ones I have had the reboots helped. :-\
Just my experience ;)

I did more than two re-boots. As a matter of fact, I could not even call them re-boots; only the very first one was; then this diagnostic box would hog the computer and would not even allow me to press Shutdown or Restart button - I had to do hard turn-off by using the Turn-off button. And then I would restart, and again shut down, and restart....more than 5 times.

morzh

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »

+1
Problems with Dell should be fixed now..!
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68927.0
asyn

Thanks. When I regain my valor and my belief in my ability to have enough resolve to go through some more safe mode re-starts, I sure will  ;D