Author Topic: ** HAVING ANY ISSUES WITH V5.1.864? Try a new pre-release build 5.1.874 **  (Read 117541 times)

rc primak

Re: ** HAVING ANY ISSUES WITH V5.1.864? Try a new pre-release build 5.1.874 **
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2011, 09:16:36 PM »
Add my complaint to the list of issues with the 5.1.864 update:

The update was offered through my Avast 5.1 program update module and installed normally. Upon reboot, I could not Explore or Empty my Windows Recycle Bin.

Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit, fully patched. Comodo Firewall with Defense+. Exit Firewall and no change. Disable Avast File Shield and Recycle Bin was restored to full functionality, even with CCleaner. Enable Avast File Shield and the Recycle bin cannot be Explored or Emptied. Failures cause Windows Explorer to hang, forcing a hardware reset. This is a WinBook Laptop, rather old.

I then followed the advice in this Forum and did a full removal of Avast, using Revo Uninstaller and the Avast Removal Tool. (I decided to use the whole "belt and suspenders" approach.  :D ) I then installed a fresh copy of Avast 5 Free (from the Build 5.1.874 download link). I then rebooted. The Windows Recycle Bin was fully restored, and CCleaner and other utilities programs can empty the Bin as they did before.

There was definitely something which went wrong with this update. In my case, it involved the Avast File Shield module, possibly the Advanced Heuristics component.

In any event, I am glad to have the issue resolved. I like using Avast and would have been very disappointed to have to switch to something else on that laptop. I have been using Avast Free for three years now.

I think the 5.1.874 Build may be ready to be released to the public. It may be better than its predecessor, and may resolve many of the issues some of us have seen when Build 5.1.864 was applied as an overlay under Windows XP with SP3.

Edit: I just saw in another Thread that there is now yet another update to Avast. I'll try that one and report back. I think you folks are calling this one 5.1.884.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:09:30 AM by rc primak »

Nobneb

« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2011, 11:31:52 PM »
RE Corel X5 - Fixed
I had the same problem opening Corel X5.  When I attempted to repair the Corel installation, I got this message which is related to Microsoft .NET  Also my computer slowed to a crawl.

Product: CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 -- Error 1704.An installation for Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2.0 - ENU is currently suspended.  You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue.  Do you want to undo those changes?

I repaired Corel, then completely uninstalled the latest version of Avast and installed Avast version 5.  This solved all my problems.  However, this isn’t a solution and I find it hard to believe that anyone would publish this update that trashed so many computers.  Those who post here are aware of what is going on, but many more clueless computer users have the same problems but are unaware that Avast is to blame or how to fix the problem.  

A bunch of Thank you ...

I can go back to design...NOW!!!!
After I tried all what mentionned above ..
I simply uninstalled avast...cleaned my pc...reboot and installed back the setup 5.0.677...
just as YOU..Powerwalk advised me to do and now no prob....
CorelDraw is working perfectly ...
I set the avast prog update to manual...waiting for a stable fix for this problem!!!

Thank you
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 11:36:29 PM by Nobneb »

Silk0

« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2011, 11:33:40 PM »
The last build (.884 and still a Pre-Release) fixes the Corel problem.. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69152.0
 I'll suggest you to have a try. I'm almost sure it gonna work.. ;)

Nobneb

« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2011, 11:48:34 PM »
The last build (.884 and still a Pre-Release) fixes the Corel problem.. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69152.0
 I'll suggest you to have a try. I'm almost sure it gonna work.. ;)

Actually it was such a mess..that I will wait until to be really sure about the Corel fix!!!

I've been using Avast since 2004...and never even thought about changing for another one...but these last days...I did think about getting  another antivirus.....

I've already lost to much time on my work..!!!

Thanx anyway..
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 11:52:51 PM by Nobneb »

rc primak

« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2011, 06:07:17 AM »
Update to my issue with the Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit Recycle Bin and Avast 5.1.864:

I have been offered the newest release (Avast 5.1.884) through the usual Avast Program Update process.

Since updating the program through the interface to 5.1.884, I can report that there have been no further issues. This is the version currently being offered through the Avast Interface.

Thanks for the swift action on this problematic update.

IanHyde

« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2011, 06:10:35 AM »
I tried 5.1.874 but am still getting the message "Unable to insert the licence file"

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »
I tried 5.1.874 but am still getting the message "Unable to insert the licence file"
Hmmm... Try 5.1.884.
The best things in life are free.

BobxT

« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2011, 06:20:24 AM »
I am having a problem with both the 5.1.864 and the current 5.1.874.

In 5.1.874 while the long delays before the Programs menu and QuickLaunch becomes available to use has been fixed a Network issue still exists.

I have a home network and my email program resides on the other machine at the front of the house.  I access this email program (PmMail 2000, ok I know it is old) across the gigabit network from the second computer.  Both computers are running Windows 7 x86 Ultimate.

When I click on the Email icon for PmMail, the system freezes, only the mouse is able to move, nothing can be run, not even Task Manager, nor Sysinternals Process Explorer.. NOTHING.

I have to hold the power button for 4 seconds until the computer shuts off completely.

On reading some of the preceding messages in this forum, I tried removing the Behaviour component of Avast Free 5.1.874.  Now I can access the email program again.

As far as I know, this is the only issue remaining on this 5.1.874 release, at least on my systems and so far.

HTH,
Regards,
BobxT

I have updated to 5.1.889 Avast Free the problem still remains. And I have again uninstalled the Behaviour Shield.

This time it is worse, in that, if I click on any Desktop url link or Non IE browser (specifically Mozilla Seamonkey v2.0.11) then the whole Windows 7 x86 freezes with only the mouse able to move.

Strangely, on the same computer and booted from the second partition with Windows 7 x64, there is no problem with Avast 5.1.889.

I have scanned both partitions and there are NO viruses/malware/trojans/rootkits.

----
I also investigated a member of the Melbourne PC User Group club's problems under Windows XP SP3. He also has this same problem on one desktop computer but not on his wife's laptop, also XP Sp3. 

Both are running Avast Free 5.1.889.  I fixed his lock ups the same way I fixed mine - uninstall the Behaviour Shield.

I had previously tried unticking the options in the Expert Settings of the Behaviour Shield and while it worked for a while, it became erratic and that is when I completely uninstalled the Behaviour Shield.

I should note that at no stage does the Behaviour Shield throw up any error messages or any indication it is even doing anything.

Regards,
BobxT
21 January 2011   16:11