Author Topic: avast! Free Antivirus in taskbar?  (Read 4379 times)

AJ Bucini

avast! Free Antivirus in taskbar?
« on: January 05, 2011, 04:07:45 AM »
Hello I have a question I've been using avast fo about 3 weeks now with no major problems, I was just wondering sometimes after leaving my PC Idle for awile I come back and find avast! Free antivirus minimized in my taskbar eventhough I wasn't on my computer to click the shortcut or quick launch tray icon, also when I go to click the button in the taskbar to maximize it it dose nothing unless I right Click it and select maximize in which case I get the user interface that's just blank utill click one of the options on the left side of the UI e.g. summary, realtime shields ect.

Just wondering what might cause the user interface to launch and then minimize I have checked all the realtime shields and all is well no infections ,I run full scans about 2 times including boottime scans a week and detect nothing bad no infections, I also have no scheduled scans set and auto update is turned off so none of these should launch the UI.

I am running Avast! Free ver 5.1.864 on windows XP sp3 1.10GHZ Processor 256 Ram.

Please let me know what to do?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: avast! Free Antivirus in taskbar?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 04:44:09 AM »
Hello I have a question I've been using avast fo about 3 weeks now with no major problems, I was just wondering sometimes after leaving my PC Idle for awile I come back and find avast! Free antivirus minimized in my taskbar eventhough I wasn't on my computer to click the shortcut or quick launch tray icon, also when I go to click the button in the taskbar to maximize it it dose nothing unless I right Click it and select maximize in which case I get the user interface that's just blank utill click one of the options on the left side of the UI e.g. summary, realtime shields ect.

Just wondering what might cause the user interface to launch and then minimize I have checked all the realtime shields and all is well no infections ,I run full scans about 2 times including boottime scans a week and detect nothing bad no infections, I also have no scheduled scans set and auto update is turned off so none of these should launch the UI.

I am running Avast! Free ver 5.1.864 on windows XP sp3 1.10GHZ Processor 256 Ram.

Have you tried a Repair of Avast. Go to Control Panel/ Add and Remove Programs/ Choose Avast and then Change/Remove and when the options appear choose 'Repair' and see if that fixes the problem.

How did you update to v.5.1.864? Was it through the GUI or did you install over the last version with the New downloaded installer pkg?
Let us know how the Repair worked. :)

Online CraigB

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:06:52 AM »

It's just a small bug in avast that pop's up now and again, mine did it yesterday but i also cannot open the avast GUI with the icon when it appear's, i have to open avast with the normal taskbar icon in the bottom right then exit avast to get rid of the icon from bottom left ???

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:33:53 PM »
Ah...Thanks,I was not aware of this one. I'm sure there are threads about it, I guess I missed them :-\

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:37:27 PM »

Get more RAM as 256 MB is barely enough to run XP. ;)

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 09:37:16 AM »
please try to update to avast version to 5.1.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »

Hi yonatan

AJ is running 5.1.864 as is stated in the original post.   :)