Author Topic: Re-occuring problem  (Read 9230 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Re-occuring problem
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 02:57:52 PM »
This link provides some information on the virus and its removal: PARITE.A-1

Since its from TrendMicro I would suggest trying their online scanner Housecall
if you haven't already tried it
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

parachutestx

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2004, 08:30:04 AM »
Ok these guys know more about this kind of thing than I do but if you have the windows instilation disks for your computer my suggestion is to wipe the drive clean.....I know that's typically the last thing anyone wants to do but if it's infecting everything that might be 1 of your only options?

Again just my input.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 02:42:52 PM »
Ok these guys know more about this kind of thing than I do but if you have the windows instilation disks for your computer my suggestion is to wipe the drive clean.....I know that's typically the last thing anyone wants to do but if it's infecting everything that might be 1 of your only options?

Again just my input.

This is like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut and I would say an option of last resort. Not least having to re-install everything and have to go online and re-download all windows update patches, etc. (especially when SP2 has just been released), not to mention all your programs and tweaks and settings (a real pain).

An other potential problem is getting infected when you go inline for hours to download the patches, taking you right back to square one. Recent reports state the average time to get infected (for a vulnerable PC) is 20 mins, I however feel that 20 minutes is a high figure.

People should have a reasonable backup and recovery strategy for when they experience serious system problems. I take an image of my C: (windows) and D: (programs and Data files) partitions every week and a backup of data files daily. I can restore an image in about 15 minutes or less and data in seconds.

If you don't make a plan then you plan to fail.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

whocares

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 03:25:21 PM »
Hi David..

everything has two sides..
a) you're probably right generally about the sledgeHammer
b) imho you're wrong in this here case..:

- even if PARITE is seemingly successfully removed/Cleaned, that doesn't mean that all programs will be successfully repaired/working..
(especially if avast & VRDB isn't working properly anymore).
And this sure can wreak havoc on your system ...

- OP had obviously some active trojans/worms probably with BackdoorFunctions -> the system's security is compromised already..

- For XP: There's SP2 available -> Just get the full Installer somehow on CD.
flatten your Windows-Partition, and reinstall (OFFLINE!!) XP + SP2, avast and maybe firewall..
Then you've a basic protection...

Secure Passwords, Secure Browser-settings of course still need to be done immediately...Plus SafeHex & Brain1.x

;) ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 03:26:30 PM by whocares »