Author Topic: Do I have to configure Avast to my mail program?  (Read 3094 times)

MDGeezer

Do I have to configure Avast to my mail program?
« on: January 07, 2011, 12:29:02 AM »
Do I have to configure Avast to my mail program (Gmail) for the Mail Shield to work?  How can I tell if it is scanning?  I have seen notices that updates have come in but have seen nothing about any scans taking place.  Do I need to schedule them?  Does the Internet Security part start working automatically?  I am using Windows 7

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Do I have to configure Avast to my mail program?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:32:53 AM »
If you want avast mailshield to scan your email you will have to set up gmail in an email client such as Windows Live Mail or whatever email client you choose.

Please read this. https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458&nav=0,2

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:35:13 AM »
about Gmail and the mail scanner, yes you do have to re-configure your client account settings to non-ssl ports.

e.g. POP 995 >>> 110 (ssl set to none)
     IMAP 993 >>> 143 (ssl set to none)
     SMTP 587 or 465 >>> 587 (ssl set to none)

once you've done that do a self-test, like send a message to yourself send/receive, then go to the mail shield advanced settings and check the ssl account section. You account must have been detected by the mail shield proxy, and ports should be rerouted there to ssl ports 995/993 and 465. Change 465 to 587/TLS. Both work but TLS is more secure.

MDGeezer

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 07:31:11 AM »
Thank you for the answer.  That sounds a bit complicated but maybe I will try it step-by-step. 

Does the program tell me after it scans for viruses?  I haven't seen any notice like that, and I've had it for 2-3 days. 

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »
Thank you for the answer.  That sounds a bit complicated but maybe I will try it step-by-step. 

Does the program tell me after it scans for viruses?  I haven't seen any notice like that, and I've had it for 2-3 days. 

no it doesn't. You can check that by using the "insert message" options (in the mail shield advanced settings) or by checking the message source when getting mails.