Author Topic: weird message from avast when pc stops idling  (Read 2638 times)

lister

weird message from avast when pc stops idling
« on: January 06, 2011, 02:12:51 AM »
Avast gives the message below whenever the pc is idle for a while and i log in again. When i choose 'No' it goes away but the pc sounds like it's working overtime and it gets sluggish.

What is it and how can i stop it? Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 02:27:12 AM by lister »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: weird message from avast when pc stops idling
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 02:34:30 AM »
Avast gives the message below whenever the pc is idle for a while and i log in again.

What is it and how can i stop it? Thanks!

I have received that exact message afte Avast recognized a 'rootkit Driver' that is part of a trusted program I use called "Folder Shield" After I stated to take 'No Action' then the message comes up as a part of the continued process to scan in safe mode for any other perceived threats.
Could Avast have found something while sitting dormant.I know that Avasts Rootkit scan kicks in several minutes after log on. Maybe something was found. I don't know, but I certainly would be tempted to let the process go ahead and do a Boot Time Scan and see what happens. Have you tried that??

lister

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »
Avast did not detect a virus/rootkit. There was no other popup or notice, just this.

I have performed a boot scan and my pc is clean. It happens every time I leave the PC idle.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:41:58 PM »
must be a bug in 5.0.864, try the 874 build (beta)http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68927.0 but if you don't get such alerts again, don't bother installing the beta, just wait for the next official program update.

ps: or keep the PC busy 24/7 ... just a few days, until the next build is out ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:43:29 PM by Logos »