Author Topic: Cannot restore backups from drive with avast issues  (Read 5206 times)

balm

Cannot restore backups from drive with avast issues
« on: January 08, 2011, 03:32:05 PM »
i cant restore any of my backups using windows7 backup & restore utility, nor can i restore manually by unzipping compressed files, not can i use the systemimage properly

when using restore utility i can actually see the emails i want, when using the other methods i dont see them, or the utility hangs...

the message on the the restore utility is as follows:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:33:39 PM by balm »

balm

Re: Cannot restore backups from drive with avast issues
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
these are avast scan logs and chest, not sure if these interfere with my restore...

balm

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:23:43 PM »
heres the chest...

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »
try deactivating Avast (the file system shield) before launching the restore process, I can't see anything else to do. On a side note decompression bombs are no malware, just big archives with such a level of compression that Avast cannot scan them, it would take days ;D. As to passworded archives, well they're passworded ;)

I haven't used W7 backups to restore files from data drives yet, so I can't say how it behaves with Avast5.

edit: you seem to have java infection on board. You should delete everything you got in Chest, uninstall your current java install, and re-install it from there:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
(you need JRE)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:43:36 PM by Logos »

balm

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 05:48:12 PM »
Logos, Merci!

i should explain I think ive tried every possible procedure (including your post) , and as per Windows Sevens Forums....

but wasnt sure about avast, so in your opinion it is "unlikely" the avast scanned items are causing any problems with my restore?

Merci encore.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »
Logos, Merci!

i should explain I think ive tried every possible procedure (including your post) , and as per Windows Sevens Forums....

but wasnt sure about avast, so in your opinion it is "unlikely" the avast scanned items are causing any problems with my restore?

Merci encore.

no, that's the thing, I'm actually not sure at all if Avast blocked the process or not... could happen at some other level, the files not scanned are just not scanned, but what happens for the rest is unclear...

Okay wait, were the files sent to Chest sent ti Chest by Avast during the restore process or before this? if that's during the restore process, you can thank Avast, the downside being that obviously the restore has been with right interrupted.

You got one solution, restore manually (from the backup interface)files and folders that you want, then delete this backup completely as it's infected anyway. When you've sorted the java issue as described above, do a new backup.

balm

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 06:56:28 PM »
NO, files were sent to chest BEFORE restore...

after manually unzipping folders, i could not find/see the desired emls.....(but i do see them when using restore utility....), it was as if it was a different backup more recent...

anyways we even tried rebuilding the mediaid.bin file which is required when restoring, and i couldnt do it  - received error for no access on cmd commands procedure...

anyway ill get rid of Java... and you say its safe to just DELETE everything in the CHEST?

thank you

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
well yeah it's just Java, the system doesn't depend on it. If you need it you just re-install it.

balm

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:36:09 AM »
i used JavaRA to remove old javas , but it didnt do anything!,  it seems my java is up to date, and no old versions appear...

so i guess if no one can solve the restore issue ill be deleting the backups, format the external, and restart with new utility...any suggestions on good backup utilities ???

thanks
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:41:50 AM by balm »

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »
I don't have a problem with backups on my Windows 7 system but I keep Windows backups on a second internal hard drive.
I don't use McAfee Site Advisor though.
I did have problems with an external hard drive trying to do backups there as sometimes I would forget to have the external hard drive active when the backup was sheduled.

balm

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 04:18:22 PM »
are you using the windows7 utility...

im finished with this utility, as it is GARBAGE, now having read around about it more, most dont use it because of problems like this

ive used 3 versions on different computers over the years, and restoring has always been a problem

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
Not a problem for me so far.

balm

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 06:06:13 PM »
i think problem is once infected (although no one really knows...) its useless