Author Topic: Computer freezes when any USB ports are used after 5.1.864 install  (Read 4199 times)

Treehawk

Two days ago I updated my previous version of Avast free with the new version 5.1.864 download. Since this download I can not use any of my USB ports. When I insert a flash drive into a USB port I get a Windows error message that says: There is no disk in drive. Insert a disk into drive/device/harddisk/DR1. This box will NOT close and any clicks on anything freezes the whole system. I have to do a hard shut down. I verified avast caused this by doing a system restore back to the day before downloading the new program. After the restore all of my USB ports worked normally. Of course it took me back to the old Avast program. I then did a system unrestore. The problem came right back with the new Avast program. Since I can't use any flash drives I can't backup my computer or upload any new info from flash drives. I'm plagued with a dialup connection so reinstalls take many hours. I submitted a ticket on this but no response yet. Any help appreciated.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Computer freezes when any USB ports are used after 5.1.864 install
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »
Hi Treehawk, Download and install the 5.1.874 version http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68927.0  fix's the previous build problem's, its a beta version but it safe.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
I think this is an unhappy coincidence as I had/have no USB problems with avast 5.1.864. I have an external 500GB drive that I use for back-ups also and I have just fired that up and no problems, see image.

Your report here is the first that I have seen in the forums, certainly in relation to 5.1.864. So I rather doubt trying the 5.1.874 pre-release version will change that, but you can certainly give it a try.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Treehawk

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 03:55:16 AM »
Thanks guys. I may try downloading the 874. Hate it since it takes almost 4 hours with dialup. Sure would be nice if they could fix it with a program update! Maybe I'll get a response to the ticket I submitted. I assume I don't have to uninstall the 864 if I do download 874?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:09:54 AM »
You assume correct, you can install it over the top.

Treehawk

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 05:57:18 PM »
Before I found the forum and posted my original thread here I submitted a ticket on the issue. Yesterday I got a reply to the ticket with these instructions:

1. uninstall avast - you should use the avast removal utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear5.exe
2. restart your computer
3. then clear all off-line content and cookies form your web browser and download and install our new version: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68494.0

Previous posts here said it was not necessary to uninstall or do any of this prior to the download.

So which is correct the Avast tech reply, or the replies on the forum?

I want to download 884 and still have 864 installed. Fortunately I didn't rush out and install 874.

Uninstall or do on top?

Thanks

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »
Hi Treehawk :)

Craigb is right. An install on top should normaly work, so I would try that first if I were you :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )