Author Topic: BSOD when I install full version of avast 5 internet security  (Read 9059 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: BSOD when I install full version of avast 5 internet security
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 10:29:10 PM »
Should I deinstall Essentials? 
Yes. It can have conflicts with avast.
The best things in life are free.

samwoodgoddess

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 06:25:55 AM »
I have the same problem.  I have been a longtime Avast user.  Two PC's in my home using Avast 4.8 until today.  The Vista machine updated to 5.0 Internet Security without a problem.  The Windows 7 machine will not do so.  I uninstalled 4.8, and installed 5.0, got BSOD, computer wouldn't start in any way except safe mode.  I uninstalled 5.0 in Safe Mode, and the computer went back to functioning normally, and tried to install again.  No luck.  In Safe Mode, I tried to repair Avast, BSOD again.  I uninstalled it again, downloaded the ASWCLEAR5 utility, uninstalled both 4 version and 5 version, and computer went back to normal.  Installed one last time, and again BSOD, failure.  So, I uninstalled one last time, and now my computer is again back to normal, but no Avast, which I love, and want to work.  Can you give instructions for a minidump FTP?  Thank you.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 06:38:26 AM »
I have the same problem.  I have been a longtime Avast user.  Two PC's in my home using Avast 4.8 until today.  The Vista machine updated to 5.0 Internet Security without a problem.  The Windows 7 machine will not do so.  I uninstalled 4.8, and installed 5.0, got BSOD, computer wouldn't start in any way except safe mode.  I uninstalled 5.0 in Safe Mode, and the computer went back to functioning normally, and tried to install again.  No luck.  In Safe Mode, I tried to repair Avast, BSOD again.  I uninstalled it again, downloaded the ASWCLEAR5 utility, uninstalled both 4 version and 5 version, and computer went back to normal.  Installed one last time, and again BSOD, failure.  So, I uninstalled one last time, and now my computer is again back to normal, but no Avast, which I love, and want to work.  Can you give instructions for a minidump FTP?  Thank you.
Once you've run the removal tool in safe mode after a normal uninstall through add remove program's try the new pre release build 5.1.884 http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69152.0

London_Lad

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »
samwoodgoddess - Sounds exactly the same as my problem. Try updating your drivers (the offender for me was Atheros wireless network driver)

I thought that my Vaio updates were updating correctly but after pk saved the day, I realised that they had not been working properly and I had to wait for 45 minutes for the computer to update everything. After updating, I re installed avast and it worked fine.

If you want to upload your dump files it is pretty simple.
-Locate the files on your computer - C:\Windows\Minidump (and if you have bigger dump creation enabled, also C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file)
-Drag them onto your desktop
-Upload to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming (I use an ftp program called Filezilla which is free and pretty simple to use)

If you need any more help just ask

samwoodgoddess

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »
Success...the recommended build installed cleanly, no problem.  Should I set Avast to receive Program Updates automatically, based on the prior errors?  I couldn't boot except into Safe Mode with the build I first installed...?  Don't want to update into another situation....?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 08:05:28 PM »
Success...the recommended build installed cleanly, no problem.  Should I set Avast to receive Program Updates automatically, based on the prior errors?  I couldn't boot except into Safe Mode with the build I first installed...?  Don't want to update into another situation....?
Best to leave the update's as default, glad your problem is fixed.