Author Topic: [Resolved in 5.1.884] avastsvc.exe problem  (Read 9692 times)

mokkaman

[Resolved in 5.1.884] avastsvc.exe problem
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:01:32 AM »
after updating ystrday's defns, and restarting pc, avast tray icon shows "not running" status by red X icon. i checked services.msc and found avast service as - starting.. this remains for 5 or ten min and then only avast starts working. but the firewall service is working normally. i have AIS in winxp sp3
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:03:43 AM by Ho-chi-minh »

SafeSurf

Re: avastsvc.exe problem
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »
Have you tried an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Let us know if this helps.  Thank you.

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 02:21:32 PM »
Please un-install Windows Defender as it is not required on XP and could cause problems with AIS.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:40:26 PM »
Which shield in Avast provides protection similar to Windows Defender?
Web, Network, behavior, other ?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »
Which shield in Avast provides protection similar to Windows Defender?
Web, Network, behavior, other ?

Avast has 8 shields to shield from threats Windows Defender doesn't cover all as effectively.
A repair of Avast was suggested by SafeSurf and an alternative suggestion to uninstall Windows Defender.
I agree, I certainly don't think you need WD if you are using AIS.
IMO :)

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:05:01 PM »
I see.  There's an inference the WD conflicts with AIS.
Does it also conflict with Avast 5.1.874 free ?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:11:45 PM »

I am sorry, 'I am not totally sure' as I have not used WD since back in the day! :-\

mokkaman

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 03:04:54 AM »
Oh my god, i have done both.. repair and removed windows defender... no use.. wenever some problem comes all say only these two suggestions..finally,if nothing works,have to switch to 4.8 free from AIS 5.. many problems like this occurs whenever a program update comes newly..

ok so none of other win xp users have the same problem? thats wat i need to confirm.
last time i got a similar problem which was common to all xp users and "disabling rootkit scan at startup" was the solution..
and by the way my version is 5.1.864 and it saying UP-TO-DATE when i do program update.. is it ok?

mokkaman

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:06:57 AM »
everytime i re-install AIS ive to change settings to my preferences and customise firewall for the programs i have.. is there anyway i can backup avast settings?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 03:29:02 AM »
everytime i re-install AIS ive to change settings to my preferences and customise firewall for the programs i have.. is there anyway i can backup avast settings?

Hello Ho-chi-minh: I know this situation can be frustrating but we will try to work through it.
Firstly, the version you have is not the latest version(not up to date) even though your program say it is. The reason is the newer prerelease version 5.1.874(which by the way has fixed many issues found in 5.1.864) and is not available through your GUI.(Program). It has to be installed via the installer I will provide you with.
Secondly, I suggest your also run the Avast Clean up Utility, to remove all remnants from previous versions of Avast that you have had installed on your computer.
Third, unfortunately there is no way to save your settings after an uninstall.

I will provide you with some instructions to uninstall your current version 5.1.864 and install the latest version 5.1.874 by using the download link I am going to provide you

Now please follow these instructions carefully;

If you have had v.4.8 installed or v.5.0 or 5.1(beta) and had issues with the functioning of the version or an install of a newer version over top did not work properly, I have found this process to be extremely effective in many situations. Consider executing a ‘Clean Install’ using this format.
 I recommend you follow these instruction in the order they are presented

Please download the latest version of Avast (5.1.874) for the product you need and save it to your HDD:          

Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.0.874/setup_ais.exe

Then please download aswClear5.exe (Clean up Utility) http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your hard drive where you can access it easily.

First IN NORMAL MODE, Please go to Start/Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs and choose Avast and click Change/Remove, and then Uninstall from the options listed. Once the uninstall process is completed, Reboot your computer and when up and running, Reboot again, this time into 'SAFE MODE' and find the (aswClear5.exe) download you saved to your hard drive and run the Clean up tool.
Make sure you first choose the version from the list supplied in the tool that you want to cleanup and then run the tool by choosing Uninstall; your computer will automatically reboot.
Once up and running in Normal Mode, follow the NOTE BELOW, before finally installing the latest version of Avast you saved to your hard drive.
Remember,  if you have had more then one version of Avast installed on your computer, you need to choose the version in the Clean up tool that you have had installed on your system one at a time. If you have had both v.4 and v.5.0 installed, then you need to follow the ‘safe mode’ process twice; once for version(4.) and once for version(5.) separately.

NOTE: If you would like, you can run CCLeaner after you Reboot and before the Clean install of Avast. This is not totally necessary but cannot hurt.
This is Free and Safe Hard Drive Cleaner> http://www.piriform.com/

If you have any problems please feel free to let us know.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:44:47 AM by schmidthouse »

mokkaman

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:22:39 AM »
thanks.. i already do have ccleaner ans aswclear5.exe.. now installing .874

mokkaman

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 04:49:00 AM »
updated to latest version.. all fine now.. UI has become much more smooth. happy..

PS: noted that virus def of jan 9 seems older than that of jan 5 according to avast setup!!

anyway updated using UI n solved it  ;D ;D ;D

mokkaman

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 04:52:13 AM »
and i have to say... windows defender never had any conflicts wit avast for me... just wen u do memory scan, WD engine is seen as a virus but it doesnt meddle wit avast's operation ;)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 04:59:02 AM »
updated to latest version.. all fine now.. UI has become much more smooth. happy..

PS: noted that virus def of jan 9 seems older than that of jan 5 according to avast setup!!

anyway updated using UI n solved it  ;D ;D ;D

Glad to see everything is up and running and all is fine for you now ;)

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 09:06:55 AM »
Ho-chi-minh,

For XP, you really do not need to use WD as long as you are using Avast.  WD detection rates is not as good and is a waste of memory IMO (and others).  I personally do not use it on my XP machines.  To avoid the problem you are having as WD being "seen as a virus," I would just uninstall it.  You can always reinstall it in the future if you want or need it.

After you uninstall WD, reboot, run CCleaner, and defrag your system.  You will probably find that your machine will run much quicker as well.  ;)

When you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you for allowing us to assist you.  :)