Author Topic: HPODEST.dll?  (Read 2485 times)

kengorp

HPODEST.dll?
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:45:04 PM »
While running boot time scan, avast found HPODESt.dll in c:\WINDOWS
had win32:malob-cb malware. It was put in the 'chest'. I googled for the dll but NO hits.
Upon boot, got message that this dll was missing. Does anyone know what this dll is, or what programs would use it? Any info would be appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: HPODEST.dll?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:27:12 PM »
Not getting any hits for a dll in the windows folder for me is suspicious in its own right.

The message is basically the orphan registry key trying to run the file which now resides in the chest.

You could do a registry search for HPODESt.dll and if you are confident working in the registry delete only that element in the key in which it is found. If not best to leave well alone.

You could try a registry cleaner or a general cleaner like CCleaner - Temp File Cleaner, etc.. This has  Registry section and you can click the Fix Issues and see if it finds this key, etc.

Or you could try an anti-malware that looks in the registry for associated malware keys.
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
Re: HPODEST.dll?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
While running boot time scan, avast found HPODESt.dll in c:\WINDOWS
had win32:malob-cb malware. It was put in the 'chest'. I googled for the dll but NO hits.
Upon boot, got message that this dll was missing. Does anyone know what this dll is, or what programs would use it? Any info would be appreciated.
I can surely tell you That it's not a default .dll library. I don't have it in my Windows folder and no results when type that name as well  :o. What "this" can be for dll? You must be first user infected by this thing. When I saw this I:  :o
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10