Author Topic: A Few Quick Questions  (Read 6919 times)

MystikTK

A Few Quick Questions
« on: August 27, 2004, 12:47:04 AM »
Hi. :)

First, I was wondering how the size of detected viruses (definitions) compares to that of Norton's?

Secondly, I heard that Avast doesn't detect viruses as they are download to your computer. Is this true?

Lastly, I also noticed on the features part of the site something about "Limited capability of direct repair (especially macroviruses)". What does this mean?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:A Few Quick Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 01:01:21 AM »
Hello :)

Well definitions cannot be compred directly (for any antivirus).
Many of them have heuristics or generic detection(avast! is very stong at this one) which cannot be counted and compared.
Most of us,avast! users is ex Norton users and we can assure you that avast! can beat Norton anywhere.

No its not exactly true. By default it is true,but if you set On-Access module to High sensitivity it will detect/scan those viruses/files that are copyed/moved/modified along with scanning when opening the file.
To enable this,just left click on blue "a" bal next to the clock and move all sliders to High.

The last one is the VRDB database (virus recovery database). Without it avast! really has a very limited repair functionality,but when you create VRDB database you can virtually repair any infected file.
Its a very cool exclusive feature,but in these days there are mostly worms that don't infect anything,they just copy certain files to your hard drive. So the main task is to delete such files in most painless way. Boot-Time Scan is usually the best solution :)

Hope i provide enough info. If you need anything else just say and i(we) will try to help you :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

MystikTK

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 01:52:36 AM »
LOL, I'm an ex-Norton user, myself. That's why I'm thinking of switching.

How do I create a VRDB?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 02:12:12 AM »
Hello MystikTK, and welcome to forums !

Right-click your avast! icon (blueish circle with "a" inside) in your system tray... you'll get menu from the picture attached... choose VRDB submenu and from there you should be fine my friend...

Norton ? I don't think so... avast! rules !!!  ;)

Cheers !
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 02:13:09 AM by Craftec »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 02:51:06 AM »
LOL, I'm an ex-Norton user, myself. That's why I'm thinking of switching.

Hi MystikTK,

You will be joining an ever growing (happy) band of ex Norton users who have made the switch to avast.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MystikTK

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 03:32:26 AM »
Thanks for the help, everyone.

If I ever have a question/problem, I know where to come. ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 03:32:47 AM by MystikTK »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 03:45:09 AM »
That's why we are here... don't forget to ask if anything is questionable, but also, try to help if you can someties to all those newbies who need our help... that will expand our existing technical support crew.  ;)

Cheers !
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 03:45:36 AM by Craftec »

MystikTK

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 04:11:38 AM »
Yeah, I'll be sure to help from time-to-time, but being the selfish guy that I am, I'm usually only on tech boards if I need help myself. ;) I'm a paranoid security freak, so if I'm ever on, I'll do my best. LOL.

By the way, I have a couple more questions. I have both icons (VRDB and the Resident Detection) enabled, so what does it mean when the icon is spinning/animated? I know it does that when generating VDRS, but I wasn't doing anything when I noticed it.

Also, is it safe for me be doing other things on my computer while the VRDB is generating? I'm not sure if having files active while they're being added to the DB could cause any problems.

Lastly, if I leave the default setting of the VRDB to update every 3 weeks on, will it update at boot up or randomly. Is there any way to turn off the auto-generating feature? Since I don't know if having other programs running or files open effects it, I'd rather just do it manually at a time of my choosing.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Sorry to be so irritating, but I was wondering what's up with Standard Scan? It shows that it's been scanning files, even though I didn't ask it to. This relates to one of my questions above, because if it's scanning files that are in use, can't that effect the integrity of the files or cause some sort of error?

Also, is there any protection against script-blocking or is that only in pro? If so, are there any good, free script-blocking progs out there?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 04:21:25 AM by MystikTK »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 04:25:41 AM »
Lastly, if I leave the default setting of the VRDB to update every 3 weeks on, will it update at boot up or randomly. Is there any way to turn off the auto-generating feature? Since I don't know if having other programs running or files open effects it, I'd rather just do it manually at a time of my choosing.

Hmm, hit the Post button before I'd typed in my reply.  Looks like it's gonna be one of those nights.  ;)

The 3-week default setting is right down to the minute, 21 x 24 x 60 minutes from the previous VRDB generation.  If you take a look at Technical's excellent thread explaining the INI file, you'll see all kinds of useful info there.

If you look at Craftec's screen-shot, you'll see that one of the menu choices for VRDB is "Disable".  If I'm not mistaken, that disables only the auto-generation, and you can still "Generate now" any time you like.

Best,
Mike
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 04:33:28 AM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

MystikTK

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 05:37:32 AM »
Yup, that works. Is there any way to view the VRDB once it's generated in order to check to make sure everything went OK?

Thanks.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 06:19:05 AM »
Unforunately there's no way to view the encoded contents of the VRDB -- that question was raised in another thread here quite recently.  Obviously the real test is if it'll restore an infected executable properly -- but if the status screen of your interface is showing the current date and (reasonably) current time for the latest VRDB, if you've just done one, you might just as well assume it went ok.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

guestja

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 12:29:52 AM »
Hi,  I'm considering Avast also and am wondering if anyone has an answer to the question from mysticTK:

"Also, is there any protection against script-blocking or is that only in pro? If so, are there any good, free script-blocking progs out there?"

If the answer is no, would Script Trap work as a suitable script  blocker in conjunction with the Avast home?
Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 12:31:51 AM by guestja »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 12:37:30 AM »
Welcome to forums !

All those questions are pretty much already answered in previous replies or some other threads... there is a great search feature up there at the top of the page, among the other buttons...

Script blocker is available in Pro version only, there is no such a feature in Home Edition. Any third party script blocker ? There is a plenty out there, you just need to decide which one is better for you. Try searching Google for possible freeware applications, I'm sure you'll get hundreds of answers...

Cheers !