Author Topic: *** NEW PRE-RELEASE UPDATE 5.1.884 NOW AVAILABLE ***  (Read 86137 times)

Erebus

Re: *** NEW PRE-RELEASE UPDATE 5.1.884 NOW AVAILABLE ***
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2011, 01:28:20 AM »
Does anyone know when these updates will be added to the GUI?

vecchio

« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2011, 01:31:06 AM »
when it becomes as official
84 is a pre release and so wont be avaiable from the gui

Jack 1000

« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2011, 01:51:24 AM »

If I remember correctly from the forum,

The update notification pop-up schedule is between 12-24 hours after auto notification release, and random 24 hour intervals after that.  For Avast 5, users always have the option whether or not to download the new version.

Is that right, Avast Team, about the GUI pop-up notification times?

Jack

eugene91

« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2011, 04:19:58 AM »

If I remember correctly from the forum,

The update notification pop-up schedule is between 12-24 hours after auto notification release, and random 24 hour intervals after that.  For Avast 5, users always have the option whether or not to download the new version.

Is that right, Avast Team, about the GUI pop-up notification times?

Jack

Only official releases will be updated via GUI not pre-release it seems.

burleymr07

« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2011, 06:34:46 AM »
No new build for pre-release or official in awhile.. Must be working on fixing a ton of bugs :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:36:35 AM by burleymr07 »

Hermite15

« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2011, 10:36:38 AM »
Only official releases will be updated via GUI not pre-release it seems.

upgrading through GUI (manual or auto):

1 official releases aren't updated to betas for obvious reasons
2 betas are updated to newest beta
3 betas are updated to new official release when it's out

Hexo

« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »
I am waiting for the official release :-)
In the moment i use the 5.0.6x
I thought, that 5.1.884 is only a test for about 24 hours...

Wurstler

« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
I am waiting for the official release :-)
In the moment i use the 5.0.6x
I thought, that 5.1.884 is only a test for about 24 hours...

Yeah I am also hitting the F5 key every few seconds to see if there is the final update. Without this update my life makes no sense, because I have nothing else to do than to wait for this update. In fact avast! IS MY LIFE. I tried to search for the "THINK" key on myself for a while, but when I found and hit it, nothing happens. I guess because nothing is attached to it :) Therefore I spent hours now to wait for this update.

Hexo

« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2011, 12:17:03 PM »
Did you see my :-) ?
My post was only an allusion to the time specification.
Nothing more.

BrollyLSSJ

« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2011, 12:41:20 PM »

I got the update from 5.1.874 to 5.1.884 using the build in updater.

Btw. the version is running fine. I only have to restart the computer directly after applying a program update or the boot will hang / freeze (programs stop to load in windows). But that is a minor issue to me now. Or can I restart the computer later inside the avast GUI?

rc primak

« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2011, 08:48:28 AM »
As I posted in another thread, I updated the Avast Free Program to Version 5.1.864 and had a problem with the Avast File Shield. When engaged this Shield blocked Explorer from accessing my Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit Recycle Bin in all Accounts on my WinBook Laptop. When Explorer was blocked, Windows froze and had to be restarted with a hardware reset.

I removed Avast completely, and installed Avast 5.1.874 beta and the problem went away.

Since updating the program through the interface to 5.1.884, I can report that there have been no further issues. This is the version currently being offered through the Avast Interface.

Thanks for the swift action on this problematic update.
Hi RC Primak.
I wanted to ask if the "transient cache" was activated at the time of freezing of explorer. Yes?

Sorry about the long delay in replying, but I have not been following this Thread. My issue is resolved, and I saw no reason to continue the discussion.

I see from an earlier post that you thought you had a similar issue to mine. Even when the symptoms look similar, in Windows a more specific freeze involving only one Explorer function can mean something very different from a general Explorer freezing problem. My issue was (thankfully) very specific. And this is why I suspect the update had a bad parameter somewhere, or a bad path, and the File Shield was "protecting" the Recycle Bin from being changed by Windows Explorer. Hence my freezing issue. The next update seems to have completely solved my issue.

I do not know nor care what the Avast "Transient Cache" is, nor how it works.

I did do a complete Avast Uninstall and reinstall from the Avast interim update version .864 which froze on Windows Explorer when trying to open the Recycle Bin. This happened as I installed the .874 Build. And that was when my issue disappeared. There should have been no "Transient Cache" present after the first reboot, if there was even such content before that reboot. Still, before that clean reinstall, who knows?

Build .864 was in my experience, just a bad update. Period. The Avast staff have admitted as much in this Thread and others at this Forum.

Updating to the most recent Build (.884) completely solved the issue, and my update methods were identical for both Builds (.874 and .884). The Windows Recycle Bin issue has not recurred with the current (.884) Build. In conclusion, I would not expect that any "Transient Cache" should have anything whatsoever to do with my (.864) issue.

In any event, I am not going to downgrade just to try to reproduce this time-consuming and frustrating incident. I just want Avast to work. Which most of the time, it does.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:26:05 AM by rc primak »

rc primak

« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »

Ummm... .884 was offered through the Avast Program Interface. That's how I got it.

Hermite15

« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2011, 10:32:35 AM »
thread should be closed now