Author Topic: AVAST hangs during scan.  (Read 4455 times)

Nagan

AVAST hangs during scan.
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »
Still using 5.0.677 as there are issues around in the latest version.

1.Recently I scanned a zip file with some samples with varying recursion depths . At a point the scanner hung and did nothing.Also the cpu usage shot up. Even after I closed the scan the CPU usage was high. So I had to ultimately shut down and restart. If the devolopers want I can upload the file to a sharing web site.

2.I have been using another Antivir in one of my systems.What I find is AVAST is very fast and good. But I also look forward to active participation from the devolopers on any suggestions and queries , to make it interesting  to all.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: AVAST hangs during scan.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »
1.Recently I scanned a zip file with some samples with varying recursion depths . At a point the scanner hung and did nothing. Also the cpu usage shot up. Even after I closed the scan the CPU usage was high. So I had to ultimately shut down and restart. If the devolopers want I can upload the file to a sharing web site.

Yes please - or you can upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
(On the other hand, I don't really expect to be able to reproduce the problem, as basically all of the scanner code is inside of the virus definitions - i.e. it shouldn't make any difference whether you're using version 5.0 or 5.1, the scanner modules are always the same. But maybe we'll be lucky...)
Thanks.

Nagan

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »
The file is drr.zip   Password ---virus  . You should unzip dearer.doc completely and then run a scan from explorer. It is  Download drr.zip from FileFactory.com

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:52:22 PM »
I'm afraid that, as I kinda expected, I'm unable to reproduce any freezing... the archive is processed without any problems  :-\

Nagan

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:51:35 AM »
I'm afraid that, as I kinda expected, I'm unable to reproduce any freezing... the archive is processed without any problems  :-\

Pl confirm that with Windows - 7  Home basic and AVAST 5.0.677. As I mentioned earlier I have been using 5.0.677 and I can confirm that I get the hangs even as I write...

Nagan

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 02:37:54 PM »
Hello!? just wanna make sure the so called anomaly is sorted out in the later versions?

Silk0

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Download the last version of avast! (pre release) 5.1.874 and see if the problem it's already fixed.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68927.0

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »
Well, as I said, I'm afraid I couldn't reproduce the problem, so nothing has changed.
If you could supply a dump of the frozen process (I'd provide some details), I might be able to find out something...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:01:26 PM by igor »

Nagan

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »
Seems to have been solved with 5.1.874 pre.The scan completes smoothly and the reports are generated. But there seems to be a problem here for which I have started a new thread.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:03:18 PM by Nagan »

comsats

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 08:35:55 PM »
It happened to me only once in 3 years, (avast held)
May be your system makes its slow, or late response from the system etc
Well I have also received some reservations from my costumers regarding this issue (avast held without any reason). & I have forwarded those to avast team.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:42:07 PM by Abdul Hasib »