Author Topic: AV-Comparatives complete result 2010!!  (Read 6613 times)

Offline rnuis

AV-Comparatives complete result 2010!!
« on: January 11, 2011, 11:08:31 AM »
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/summary-reports

I thougt that Avast 5 would end much Higher with this New version , I hopen that it wi'll be in 2011 with the 5.1 and 6 version what do you Gyus think?? ???
F-Secure crongatulations with the best product of 2010 and Avast come on and Win in 2011 you can do it!!

Greats,

rnuis
Avast internet security 2015 10.0.2208 , MBAM 2.03 ,Firefox 33.03
Windows 8.1 Pro 32Bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AV-Comparatives complete result 2010!!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
Personal remarks:

avast: does not disable Windows firewall by default. Scheduling is complicated to common users. Misses parental control (present in other suites).

AVG: gadget for Windows 7/Vista. They "sell" the separation of antivirus and antispyware, link scanner (web site rating) and identity protection. Should avast learn from one of the most downloaded antivirus round?

Avira: they continue to release the heuristic level on setup (games, jokes...). avast releases heuristic level without further info (high, normal, low, off) and not at setup, but further. It misses the "repair" installation option.

BitDefender: has a pre-install scanning, three different interfaces (basic, intermediate, expert). Does not have a non-install option for the shields (only disable them). Allows searching the help file through the interface (not only shown, but search).

eSafe: good artistic icons (not easy to understand what they mean). Does not have "repair" or individual removing of any part of the suite.

ESET: installation process is not clear, updates are applied after the setup finishes (good!), simple/advanced interface that can be switched. Like AVG, shows antivirus + antispyware. There is a repair and a non-obvious component removal option (for firewall and antispam).

F-Secure: unified setup file (antivirus and/or firewall). Setup only in English. Very limited options for component installation. Setup also updates the virus definitions at the end of the process (avast! should learn...). Misses a "fix" button. All statistics in one page. No "repair" option. No components uninstall.

G-Data: like avast!, allows non-installation of some features. There is a CPU graphic about its own use. Does not allow components uninstall (change installation).

K7: good detection rates, confuse installation process (bugs), does not automatically disable Windows firewall, weird (?) color scheme interface, misses a "fix" button. No repair and no components uninstall options.

Kaspersky: too many false positives. There is a safe mode run: sandboxing suspicious applications. A virtual keyboard. There are no installation options. Scheduling scans is complicated. There is a (no-intuitive) Windows 7/Vista gadget. No selective removal of components.

Kingsoft: installs a device driver for the network service, misses an unified interface for the components (antivirus, antispyware and firewall). Very confuse uninstall procedure. English-only interface.

McAfee: high number of false positives, very flexible custom installation, virus definitions are downloaded after the setup. Gives sites ratings at search pages. Does not allow repair or single component uninstallation.

MSE: antivirus-only (not suite). There is no custom installation. Automatic scan (and update) after installing. Very few options to configurate. No way to repair installation.

Norman: custom installation allowed, updates invoke UAC, allows repair and componentes install/uninstall. Easy interface (although not easy scheduling and licensing).

Panda: custom installation, weird wizard for updating, no web ratings, no repair, no custom uninstall. I can't understand the "backup" features.

PC Tools: no custom setup, automatic quick scan after setup, misses a "fix" button, has safety ratings for webpages into searches, no repair, no selective uninstall.

Sophos: designed for business network, with a HIPS. Like avast, there are navigation buttons on the interface. Difficult to be used in netbooks. Multiply items on Control Panel to uninstall. No repair option.

Symantec: no components intallation setup available, interface as vertical list of components (too much information), map area without much utility, reenable components automatically start critical scan (good precaution). Smart Definitions download only the most relevant/recent definitions (not clear to me). Webpages ratings available. No repair. No custom uninstall.

Trend Micro: no options setup, smallest interface, parental controls available. No website ratings. No repair, no components uninstall.

TrustPort: very little options for install, misses a "fix all" button, setting scannings are complicated, no search result ranking facility. All-or-nothing uninstallation. No repair.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 01:51:35 PM »
I know it was a long post... I don't link long posts ;D
But this report worth reading to get used with other antivirus products.
To get ideas and learn from the others.

Silk0

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 01:59:44 PM »
avast! did good overall progresses on 2010. (personal opinion)
The release of version 5 took avast! to the lead of Free AV's.
I believe that will stand-out with the release of version 6, this year.. just a question of time.

And... don't forget the new official release of version 5.1 which is coming really soon. ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:10:07 PM by Silk0 »

Sparxx

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 02:14:15 PM »
Well, all i can say is that there is always room for improvement for all antivirus suites, all suites have their best and "not so best"  ;D  parts.

De Hollander

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »

LunarWolf

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
The only way I can see avast winning is by avast jacking its heuristics detection up. If you notice closely, the Retrospective/Proactive Test is where avast ALWAYS didn't perform well. BUT, I must say there was an improvement from ~20+% in Feb 2010 to ~40+% in August. Can't remember the exact score.

So if avast can up it to 50=%, I am sure, we can have a winner.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 03:40:40 PM »

yongsua

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 04:19:39 PM »
http://www.av-test.org/certifications?order=protection_desc&lang=en
Indeed, the avast protection level was not good in this test (2.5/6.0) :'(

Give some time to Avast! as you know the IS product just released last year.For me,Avast! IS is still a brand new product and still need more improvement.We just wait and see and hope the version 6.0 will have big improvement in Avast! IS. ;)

Aethec

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »
Personal remarks:
avast: does not disable Windows firewall by default. Scheduling is complicated to common users. Misses parental control (present in other suites).
Personal remark to your personal remark ( ;D ): Parental control doesn't belong to security suites. 99% of the time parental controls' goals are to "protect" children from seeing things their parents don't want them to see, not to prevent them from being infected. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »
Give some time to Avast! as you know the IS product just released last year.For me,Avast! IS is still a brand new product and still need more improvement.We just wait and see and hope the version 6.0 will have big improvement in Avast! IS. ;)
I think we're NOT talking about the IS part, I mean, the suite or the firewall.
We're talking about antivirus capabilities which come from 1988...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »
Personal remark to your personal remark ( ;D ): Parental control doesn't belong to security suites. 99% of the time parental controls' goals are to "protect" children from seeing things their parents don't want them to see, not to prevent them from being infected. :)
Agree. Just that they (avast) has the technology (http://www.downv.com/Windows/download-avast-Net-Purum-3-Years-10275233.htm) but never used it into the suite.
I don't understand why...
Besides, it can be optional (the user can enable/disable, install/uninstall) and configurable.

:P Original site is redirected: http://www.netpurum.com/

Vlk's words: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=114739