Author Topic: Avast 5.1.884  (Read 2721 times)

Pishaw

Avast 5.1.884
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »
I have a question. But first, there's background. There is ALWAYS background.

I've been using Avast for about five years,since the days when the interface looked like Windows CD Player from Win95. However, this is the first time I've downloaded a beta (or pre-release). You see, I bought this Win7 64bit machine a year ago, and removed the Symantec shit that came on it and installed Avast. No boot scan, but I could live with it. So by accident last week, I found out that v. 5.1.864 (in beta) would have the boot scan on a 64bit machine. I'll wait. The NEXT DAY, it's a general release. I let the software update itself, and an hour or so later I notice that the start menu populates slow. Hummmm. Uninstall Avast, all good. Re-install 5.1.864, all still good.

So I went to 5.1.874 on my own, that updated me to .884, where I am now. Works as good as always, and the boot scan is back.

Is this how you always roll out the next release? I've been following the boards the last few days, and I noticed a douche or two that wanted to argue about whether something is a 'pre-release' or 'beta', and different petty little things that children generally do when they think they are smart but get in over their heads and don't know what to do. Anyway, I've watched y'all twice get a pre-release with fairly significant technical glitches turned around in 24 hrs. or less. Impressive.

So the Win7 64 5.1.884(mine), and the XP sp3 5.1.864 (hers) fully functional. Thanx.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast 5.1.884
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
Thanks for your feedback..!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:19:49 PM »
Is this how you always roll out the next release? I've been following the boards the last few days, and I noticed a douche or two that wanted to argue about whether something is a 'pre-release' or 'beta', and different petty little things that children generally do when they think they are smart but get in over their heads and don't know what to do. Anyway, I've watched y'all twice get a pre-release with fairly significant technical glitches turned around in 24 hrs. or less. Impressive.

So the Win7 64 5.1.884(mine), and the XP sp3 5.1.864 (hers) fully functional. Thanx.

Very interesting observation. ;)
And yes, the Avast team is "Impressive"

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »
Pishaw, beta phase is very active here and after it, a month, the final release is out.
Between versions (4, 5, 6) it takes longer, year(s).
But, indeed, the development is very active :)
The best things in life are free.