Author Topic: The Application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration..  (Read 12413 times)

Warwagon19792

As of recent I have been getting the error message

C:\program files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe
"The Application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."

After installing avast on Clean installation of Windows.

After the reboot, if I uninstall avast and then reboot again and then reinstall avast it will install and work just fine. This has been annoying me. So far it's like 2 out of every 5 avast installations actually install without getting this error.

If I were to install Avast while windows was pending a reboot from recently installed updates, would that cause this message?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Have you tried latest version  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68927.0

andrewdc

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54757.0

This topic has a solution, which immediately worked for me when I had this issue only a few moments ago.
The solution is to install Windows C++ 2008 Redistributable (for 32-bit computers the code is x86).
The link in that topic has the 32-bit C++ 2008 installation.

What my question regarding this is, why couldn't Avast use my C++ 2010 Redistributable library?
I was very confused this morning when I woke up and saw Avast! was not running.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
My guess - There are many such anomalies, if avast is using the C++ 2008 libraries, etc. then it won't be looking for later versions in a different location.

This happens with some programs using .net they are looking for the version they were built to run under. I had a problem that needs .net 3.5 and I though I was being clever when I installed .net 4.0 thinking it would be backwards compatible, my error it wasn't.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security