Author Topic: Which avast services exist and must run?  (Read 3206 times)

raffnixpert

Which avast services exist and must run?
« on: January 14, 2011, 12:21:20 PM »
In an earlier avast5 version a couple of days ago my Win7 x64 listet 3 services as follows:
avast! Antivirus, automatic, started
avast! Mail Scanner, manual, terminated
avast! Web Scanner, manual, terminated.
I was not able to modify the properties of the last two services and to restart them.

The following two facts suggest that at least the Mail-Scanner did run:
The avast! notes appeared on incoming/outgoing clean e-mail messages. In the GUI seven Real-Time Shields were reported running including the above.

After updating to version 5.1.889 I can only find 1 avast! service (avast! Antivirus, automatic, started). Does this mean that the two missing services point to some weakness in my avast! protection or is it rather an indication of avast! company having solved some of the version 5 problems?

Additional question:

Some time ago I had to uninstall and reinstall avast!5. If my memory serves me right the installation routine gave me an option to put a checkmark to something like “Load the avast! service after the other services”. I checked it then and would now like to undo this but cannot find such a setting in the GUI. Is there any or do I have to reinstall?

Intel Core i3 540 | 8 GB RAM | Windows 7 Pro x64 | Avast! 5.1.889 Free | Windows Defender | WinPatrol PLUS, | SpywareGuard | SpywareBlaster | HostsMan | Firefox 3.6 + NoScript

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Which avast services exist and must run?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
It's not really "solving version 5 problems" - it's just that the Web and Mail scanner services have been merged into the main avast! antivirus service in version 5.1. It shouldn't really change anything for the user.

As for that option, it's still where it always was - Settings / Troubleshooting. However, I am not aware of the installer offering such an option during installation  ???

yongsua

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
Additional question:

Some time ago I had to uninstall and reinstall avast!5. If my memory serves me right the installation routine gave me an option to put a checkmark to something like “Load the avast! service after the other services”. I checked it then and would now like to undo this but cannot find such a setting in the GUI. Is there any or do I have to reinstall?

Do you meant "Load Avast!services only after loading other system services"?

Sparxx

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 12:35:38 PM »
Yes there is such a setting, just go to troubleshooting tab in the avast's settings.
Can't  provide a screenshot as i'm at the work now and here we're using KAV :-X

Well you got your questions answered by the others, we just all submited at the same time
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:38:08 PM by Sparxx »

jaydeee

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »
I like all these services, I have enabled on my computers.

raffnixpert

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »
Thank you all for your answers #1 to #3. That solves the settings question.

As concerns the former 3 services, answer #1 mentions that they have been merged into one but leaves the question open why on my Win7 services list the Mail Service and the Web Service were shown as terminated (I could prove that by screenshots if required) whereas there were clear avast! indicators that showed those services as running. Any explanation for that? Had it been a problem then that may persist and should I therefore be worried about the fact that it may be masked now by the merging of the three services?

By the way, when I tried to start „avast! Mail Scanner“ Service manually, I got the following notification: "Could Not Start „avast! Mail Scanner“ Service On Local Computer. Error 1083: The Executable that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service."