Author Topic: Avast + Sandboxie  (Read 2857 times)

gentle4ug

Avast + Sandboxie
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:59:28 PM »
After getting home last night and finding another FakeAV running, I decided to go ahead and add the Sandboxie layer also.  I configued it to only keep favorites and persistant cookies and dump everything else on exit.  It is my understanding that Avast will still provide protection for the browser running sandboxed.  Is that correct?  I'm running IE8.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast + Sandboxie
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:21:38 PM »
Yes, that's correct - avast still monitors everything you do under sandboxie control. You can execute a webbrowser under sandboxie and download e.g. eicar test file (http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm). It should be blocked by avast.

gentle4ug

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks so much for the quick reply.  Think I'll try AIS on my test machine.  I just might become a paying customer.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:54:55 PM »
So are you really sure that avast and MSE play nicely together then. Having two resident AVs is likely to lead to conflict, when will not be at a time of your choosing and you don't know the consequences.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gentle4ug

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:17:41 PM »
So are you really sure that avast and MSE play nicely together then. Having two resident AVs is likely to lead to conflict, when will not be at a time of your choosing and you don't know the consequences.

So far I haven't detected anything other than a slight slow down.  But as in my signiture, its just on my test machine I play with.  I'm not going to try it on my everyday machine.  Avast has been my go to AV for several years now and I don't expect to change.

However, I did add Sandboxie to my main machine after learning how to configure it and testing the capabilities on the test machine.  My main computer has multiple users which brings the expected problems.  If I was the only user, I doubt I would have bothered.