Author Topic: Solved --> Not avast! related  (Read 2644 times)

spg SCOTT

Solved --> Not avast! related
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:10:29 PM »
Not related to BeS --> was my fault, like normal ;D
(See below)

I have the behavior shield set to ask, yes I know it is not necessarily recommended, but hey I like to mess with stuff. :D

From what I can tell it seems that the behavior shield interupted the install of one of the updates.

I got a BeS alert and clicked allow and add to trusted.
This is it:
Code: [Select]
11/01/2011 20:40:14 Modification of: \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\TrustedInstaller\Start
    By:  C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_678566b7ddea04a5\CbsCore.dll
    Via: C:\Windows\System32\services.exe
         -> Action allowed

When the updates finished I noticed that one had failed. (see images)

I then rebooted (to let the other updates install) then had another go. This time I changed it to ask, and it the update seemed to take a little while so I turned the Behavior shield off. It seemed to go a bit faster (whether it did or not I don't actually know ;))

The update installed fine now and all seems well. Just thought I should report it :)

Scott
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:47:48 PM by spg SCOTT »

gillest

Re: Behavior shield --> Did it cause windows update to fail?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:15:12 PM »
This had nothing to do with Avast. This patch requires that the others be installed first. This is why Win update only listed 3 out of the 4 patches available for Win 7 X64. If you selected this additional patch and ran the update you got this message.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:22:44 PM »
Yep I fell for that as well saw one update was unticked - ticked it, and it failed.  Rebooted tried again and it worked

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:23:07 PM »
This had nothing to do with Avast. This patch requires that the others be installed first. This is why Win update only listed 3 out of the 4 patches available for Win 7 X64. If you selected this additional patch and ran the update you got this message.

Interesting, thanks for this info :)
Learn something new every day.

Well I suppose I can change the subject of the thread then ;)

Yep I fell for that as well saw one update was unticked - ticked it, and it failed.  Rebooted tried again and it worked
Ahh, it was unticked before...I thought I unchecked it by mistake...Doh ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:26:36 PM by spg SCOTT »