Author Topic: [Resolved]E-Mail Shield Question  (Read 2171 times)

Silk0

[Resolved]E-Mail Shield Question
« on: January 11, 2011, 11:13:46 PM »
Well.. I know some of you will laugh with this topic because of my idiocy but..
I have a little question about E-Mail Shield.
Hmmm.. I usually check my E-mail (GMail is one of examples) and today I payed attention to one thing..
Opened my avast > Statistics > E-Mail Shield and period of time of 1 Year and on the verified items: 0/0 (see attach)
I have my E-Mail shield ON but is actually scanning something? Or the E-Mail shield will only scan e-mail clients like Thunderbird or MS Office Outlook?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:28:44 PM by Silk0 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: E-Mail Shield Question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:23:56 PM »
If you use webmail, then mail shield does not scan anything....but web shield does
mail shield only works when you download the mail to your computer with a mailclient

Silk0

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 11:27:47 PM »
If you use webmail, then mail shield does not scan anything....but web shield does
mail shield only works when you download the mail to your computer with a mailclient

Yes I do and that explains everything.
Learning a new thing every day.. :)
Thanks once again.

sded

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 11:33:39 PM »
E-Mail Shield can only scan Clients like you mention that use the standard mail/news protocols (pop3, imap, smtp, nntp) and is capable of handling encrypted versions of these also.  If you use Web Mail, the link is usually encrypted (like gmail using https) and doesn't get scanned.  If it is not encrypted, you shouldn't be using it!

Silk0

Re: [Resolved]E-Mail Shield Question
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:45:54 PM »
Good explanation, sded.
Explains a lot. :)

Thanks.