Author Topic: (RESOLVED) Cannot connect to update server, Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.677  (Read 12259 times)

raven92

Avast Free Antivirus ver 5.0.677 gives "cannot connect to server" error when attempting to update virus definitions.  

Are virus definition updates still available for this version?

I've tried the following:  
-doublechecked internet connection fuction - browser and all software accessing internet just fine
-then, doublechecked that avast was granted full internet access in firewall software
-then, turned firewall software completely off, just to ensure it wasn't blocking avast
-then, tried repairing avast through the control panel >> add/remove software
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:40:34 AM by raven92 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot connect to update server, Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.677
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:16:15 AM »
Sure, the updates are available.
Was it a temporary glitch?
Which firewall do you use? Is avast.setup allowed to connect?
The best things in life are free.

raven92

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:39:49 AM »
Resolved

I uninstalled Ashampoo Firewall (piece of crap) and installed Safety.Net Firewall. Ashampoo, even when completely disabled, was blocking Avast from connecting to update server.   

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: (RESOLVED) Cannot connect to update server, Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.677
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 04:32:31 AM »
Yes, unfortunately even when disabled some firewalls load low level drivers and they may well still have an impact.

We have seen this a lot with the ashampoo firewall in the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sunset2123

Cannot connect to update server, Avast Free Antivirus 6.0.1203
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »
I am using Windows 7. I installed Avast Free Antivirus 6.0.1203 three days ago. I am not able to update the antivirus, each time I click on update it gives me this error message "Cannot connect to server......Cannot connect to II002.avast.com (208.111.160.6:80)". I have included avast in the list of programs that firewall should allow to access the internet. I tried switching off my firewall in order to do the update but it didn't work.... Also, I cannot register the Avast antivirus I have installed..

I really need help.

Thanx

sunset2123

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:19:07 AM »
Sure, the updates are available.
Was it a temporary glitch?
Which firewall do you use? Is avast.setup allowed to connect?

I don't know how to draw your attention to my problem so I decided to use this medium. I am using Windows 7. I installed Avast Free Antivirus 6.0.1203 three days ago. I am not able to update the antivirus, each time I click on update it gives me this error message "Cannot connect to server......Cannot connect to II002.avast.com (208.111.160.6:80)". I have included avast in the list of programs that firewall should allow to access the internet. I tried switching off my firewall in order to do the update but it didn't work.... Is there something i need to do????

I really need help.

Thanx

ady4um

Re: Cannot connect to update server, Avast Free Antivirus 6.0.1203
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 05:03:19 AM »
I am using Windows 7. I installed Avast Free Antivirus 6.0.1203 three days ago. I am not able to update the antivirus, each time I click on update it gives me this error message "Cannot connect to server......Cannot connect to II002.avast.com (208.111.160.6:80)". I have included avast in the list of programs that firewall should allow to access the internet. I tried switching off my firewall in order to do the update but it didn't work.... Also, I cannot register the Avast antivirus I have installed..

I really need help.

Thanx

@sunset21123,

Please stop posting "everywhere". Had you simply open a new topic, you would had received your answer by now.

Try Avast main GUI -> Settings -> Updates -> "Direct connection (no proxy)".

If that doesn't work, please do NOT answer in any old topic. Open a new topic for your issue.

sunset2123

After  changing my proxy server settings to (Direct Connection), I was able to update Avast Free Antivirus 6.0.1203 successfully. Sincerely speaking, this is my first time using a forum, and also new to avast hence i hope you understand... I wont post everywhere.

thanx.