Author Topic: Please insist on a CLEAN INSTALL of 5.1.874  (Read 4178 times)

Nagan

Please insist on a CLEAN INSTALL of 5.1.874
« on: January 10, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
With Win 7 Home basic x 64, Only a clean install of 5.1.874 works . Earlier I had 5.0.677 over which I tried "OVER THE TOP" install of a previous BETA version.And it did not work and scre..d up the system which I have reported.Even in the case of installing 5.1.874 , after reboot many of the sysicons were missing and it literally hanged. I had to switch off go to safe mode and uninstalled AVAST and got to normal mode and installed freshly 5.1.874. Now it works fine... :D :D :D

Dch48

Re: Please insist on a CLEAN INSTALL of 5.1.874
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »
No need for a clean install. I updated it through the program UI with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »
No need for a clean install. I updated it through the program UI with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Hi Dch48: Whatever works, right.  ;)
There are a good number of users that have had trouble pounding updates on top of existing versions (for whatever reasons). Unfortuunately for myself also with one beta update.
In any case for those having issues for the most part I have suggested an uninstall, Clean up and Clean Install and have found from feedback that this process has corrected many issues.
Just saying. :)

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:10:31 PM »
Thing is, clean install should never be standard procedure.  That is an unreasonable request for starters, plus how would they find out if anyone is even going to have problems installing over-the-top if they tell everyone to clean install?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:14:49 PM »
Thing is, clean install should never be standard procedure.  That is an unreasonable request for starters, plus how would they find out if anyone is even going to have problems installing over-the-top if they tell everyone to clean install?

+1 Absolutely agree. ;)

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »
I never use beta versions of security software. Other things, it's fine, but not with security. I'll wait for the final release every time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 09:09:33 PM »
I can't see a reason to recommend the clean install as the upgrades are working in most cases.
I understand to recommend a clean install IF the user has a problem.
The best things in life are free.

Nagan

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 06:47:44 PM »
Yeah I agree .It did not work in may case so as in some others too. But atleast it could be mentioned that , in case of problems (from what we see ,it does not seem unusual) the user has to try out a clean install....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 01:07:07 AM »
Of course, if any problems occurs, the "solution" could be a clean installation for sure.
The best things in life are free.