Author Topic: Insecure Avast  (Read 4106 times)

Straagal

Insecure Avast
« on: January 11, 2011, 01:54:24 AM »
All shields are down and pressing the "fix now" button won't do.  I tried to repair from the Add/remove program but that didn't work either and I won't start playing in the background (deleting/adding) unless one of you confirm the correct procedures (learned my lesson last time :)

Thank you

System is XP, service pack 3

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Insecure Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:07:06 AM »
All shields are down and pressing the "fix now" button won't do.  I tried to repair from the Add/remove program but that didn't work either and I won't start playing in the background (deleting/adding) unless one of you confirm the correct procedures (learned my lesson last time :)

Thank you

System is XP, service pack 3

Hi Straagal: What version do you have installed on your machine?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:20:15 AM »
I don't really think the version matters in this case (of course, using the newest beta would be best, if you're using the beta).  If this is a fresh install, it could be due to remnants of an old A/V or maybe just a reboot.  If not, then the installation could be corrupt.

I'd suggest removing avast with Add/Remove Programs, use the Avast Cleanup tool (http://www.avast.com/cleanup-utility/) in safe mode, then a re-install.

So, did you have another A/V product before you installed Avast?

For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

Straagal

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:14:00 AM »
Before i delete/remove avast, i believe (might be wrong) that the key was only good for 30 days (Avast 5.0 Internet Security).  Will i still be able to install it again after?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 01:19:18 AM »
Before i delete/remove avast, i believe (might be wrong) that the key was only good for 30 days (Avast 5.0 Internet Security).  Will i still be able to install it again after?
If for any reason you lost your trial period, send an email to and explain.
The best things in life are free.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 02:53:57 AM »
If for any reason you lost your trial period, send an email to and explain.

If I remember correctly, when I was testing Avast programs (Pro & AIS) I think I uninstalled and reinstalled and it was still trial with the corrisponding days used just as if I had been using the product all the time.
It was a while back so I could be wrong :-\

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:09:47 AM »
@ schmidthouse,

If the trial period ended, then an uninstall and clean install is required.  However since the OP is having difficulties with the software, I agree with the above posters to have the OP uninstall and do a clean install anyway.

@ Straagal,

If you are interested in purchasing the product, you can do so and then insert your license, toward the end of the installation process.  If you were unable to complete your trial period, then do as previously instructed and contact Avast Sales.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.