Author Topic: download of Avast home 5.1 not working  (Read 15582 times)

dana

Re: download of Avast home 5.1 not working
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »
I am also getting a message, when I try to use the clear avast..that I need to disable the avast "self protection" if I don't use safe mode. How do I disable avast self protection? It says to go into settings and then troubleshooting but there isn't a troubleshooting link there..
I went into computer management and brought up services and clicked on avast but when I tried to disable startup type there acess was denied.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:25:34 PM by dana »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »
Hi..yes..I've been hitting the F8 button from the time it begins rebooting and I've tried this five times but I'm not able to bring up the safe mode..
I'd appreciate any work around of the F8..

You could try setting your system to boot into safemode, using the MSconfig options, se image. Use the windows key + R (together) and type msconfig and then click the enter key. From the window select the Boot,ini tab, you can select Boot Options, SAFEBOOT.

Now after getting into same mode and doing what you have to do, you would need to reverse this option or it would always boot into safe mode.

####
CAUTION: Should there be something wrong with your system, hardware, etc. and you are unable to get into safe mode using this option, you could be in real trouble as how could you get back in to reverse it if you can' get into safe mode to change it back.

So this option isn't without its risks and if you aren't comfortable with that you should perhaps leave it alone.

~~~~
Disable self-defence:
Open the avastUI (left click the avast icon), click the Settings button (top right of the window), now select the Troubleshooting option, uncheck the Enable the avast! self-defence module (image2). It may be best to reboot before trying to run the uninstall utility from normal mode to ensure the self-defence module is disabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dana

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 09:26:16 PM »
I'm not confident enough to try the F8 go around as you provided..although thank you for providing that information. Perhaps someone else in similar straits will be able to use it without fears.I'm just am afriad to risk screwing my computer up worse than it appears to already be.

In terms of the disable..I will need to re-install avast 5.1 as I did the add-remove of it earlier on when it wasn't working correctly..it was only after that when I ran into these other problems trying to get 5.1 to work and encountering residues of 4.8 none of which seem to be accessible or removable.
Thank you, again..

dana

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »
The process of reinstalling 5.1 and then disabling it, rebooting and starting the aswclear..seems to be in the process of working, although nothing obvious is happening other than the hour glass atop the icon... Does anyone know if this process will also remove those residual parts of 4.8 as well as traces of 4.8 are most likely casuing these problems?

dana

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »
tried the disable the self protection and then rebooting and then using the aws clear but nothing happened(it's been about twenty minutes..)..the hourglass froze and nothing changed. The 5.1 is still there as are the traces of 4.8 and the 5.1 isn't working..it still has the "x" over the icon in the tray.
I appreciate the help everyone has offered.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can try or redo..as I am at a loss.
thank you

dana

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 01:29:27 AM »
Before giving up for this day, did try to use the awsclear after disabling avast 5.1 in the troubleshooting section and neither rebooting nor trying without rebooting was successful as the aswclear wouldn't work and continued giving the same error message that I needed to disable or use safe mode. But the disable apparently kept enabling itself as soon as I clicked "ok"  as each time I reopened the troubleshooting section the enable was checked again.
Thanks again

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 05:33:56 AM »
Sorry, it was midnight and I slept. What about system restore? Did you try?

If yes, try installing the latest version over the current : http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.1.884/setup_av_free.exe
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:37:52 AM by nmb »

dana

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 04:09:03 PM »
I had to go to sleep too..

yes..I did try system restore but due to a previous infection in system restore that avast missed, I had to turn system restore off and the resetting of it was not back far enough to be of help.
I'd like to try reinstalling avast 4.8 as that seems to be the one caught up in my system and possibly causing the problems as it didn't fully uninstall when I had removed it before installing avast 5..but I can't find a download for avast 4.8. Anyone know how I can access avast 4.8 download?? Whenever I come across a supposed link for one, it ends up being a download for avast 5.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:19:47 PM by dana »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »
Hey!

Wait, don't give up.

Download the latest 5.1.889(released today) from : http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe

Run the avast uninstall tool in normal mode and select the avast 4 installation folder and let it remove the installation files. Reboot and install 5.1.889. Let us know what happened.

There might be a malware lurking in the system and so you might not be able to boot into safe mode. So there are other options to try. Please let us try what we can to fix it.

nmb

dana

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 04:54:09 PM »
nmb...
Thank you so much for not giving up on my plight!
I'll follow the suggestions and let you know what happens here..

dana

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 06:05:04 PM »
nmb...

You solved the problem!! Everything seems to be working correctly at this time.

Thank you very very much..

I am very grateful for your patience and continued help..and to all who offered suggestions and assistance..thank you.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 06:25:51 PM »
You're Welcome.

But, please let us know what you did. Did you uninstall the old avast4 version and then installed the latest or installed directly the latest.

nmb

dana

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »
I couldn't tell you all of the specific processes I tried prior to your last guidance but all I did this time was follow your instructions; use the aws uninstall utility to remove those specifics folders that had any previous versions or remnants of earlier avast programs or residue data that the add-remove program wasn't removing. The AWS uninstall utility also removed the folder that had the previous avast 5 that I had downloaded a few days ago that didn't work as well as the one I downloaded yesterday that also didn't work.
 I rebooted and installed the latest version of avast 5 following your link to it.
Installed and rebooted and all seemed well at this time.
 Although for some reason I did experience some difficulty making an internet connection again, but that eventually corrected after a few more reboots.
I don't know if it was the most recent version of Avast 5 that made things come together or using the uninstall utility to completely remove all traces of old avast from my computer.

But so far, so good..

I've run a complete scan and no viruses nor infections were found.

I hope this helps provide the information you asked for?

thank you.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 07:54:35 PM »
I hope this helps provide the information you asked for?

Pretty much. Thank you.

But, I dont understand why the safe mode is not working. What is the error you get? - lets try and fix it.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 08:06:17 PM »
Essexboy have been notified. He will fix your safemode unbootable option if it is because of a malware infection. You said you had a malware infection previously right?, so.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:21:11 PM by nmb »