Author Topic: download of Avast home 5.1 not working  (Read 15583 times)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: download of Avast home 5.1 not working
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »
Hi there let me see what you have, this will check your safe boot keys.  Do not try to safe boot using msconfig or you may well end up in a reboot loop   

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click on Minimal Output at the top
  • Click on Scan all users
  • Download the following file scan.txt to your Desktop. Click here to download it. You may need to right click on it and select "Save" 
  • Double click inside the Custom Scan box at the bottom
  • A window will appear saying "Click Ok to load a custom scan from a file or Cancel to cancel"
  • Click the Ok button and navigate to the file scan.txt which we just saved to your desktop
  • Select scan.txt and click Open. Writing will now appear under the Custom Scan box
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and attach them in your topic

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »
Mine's prettier anyway.  ;)

I wanted you to observe the "caution".

There are a few tools which can fix this problem of not able to boot into safe mode. I just want essexboy to give the link to tools. I am not allowed to. ;)

Edit: There you go. Essexboy in da house ;D

dana

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »
Since I hadn't tried using safe mode before I don't know what or why it didn't open when I pressed F8 during each reboot during attempts to first fix the problem I was having.
After each attempt to reinstall avast I know it sets a restore point and maybe that's how it got lodged in there..but I ran a drweb scan on the advice of a friend and it found and removed the culprits from some files and showed it to be in the system restore as well.. and then I turned off restore and rebooted before turning it back on.

Since running dr web scan and starting the restore point anew, the f8 key now did bring up the windows advanced options menu with the safe mode option!!

This is a great community here..thank you all for your offers and suggestions to help fix these problems.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 08:37:47 PM »
Dana,

Please follow essexboy's(trained malware expert) instructions to see if anything is lurking in your computer.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:42:55 PM by nmb »

dana

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 09:34:23 PM »
I will.
Thank you and thank you Essexboy for making sure I use and take all precautions and am safe.

dana

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 04:47:29 PM »
I followed through and did the OTL process.
Everything seemed to be working fine prior to it and so far, appears to be just as good and the F8 is opening the safe mode page..

the only thing I'm noticing is it seems to take forever for the Avast virus definitions updates to go through..it used to be a very fast process using version 4.8. But between the time it takes to download them and install them..it seems to take a half hour or longer as the one I started forty five minutes ago still hasn't finished..

again..thanks for all the help..

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
dana. You have not followed what essexboy has asked you to. Where are the logs he asked you to post back? He is helping you out. You have to co-operate.

dana

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »
I'm sorry..I forgot all about that...
Between trying to get the computer working again and having to pester my sister to use hers while we were trying to work out the problems in this forum and school and my job..just a little too much all at one time I guess.
I am sorry essexboy for forgetting to keep the logs for you.

dana

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »

I don't have the logs.. I really am very sorry..

I do want to add that it took 2 hours and 55 minutes to update the avast virus definitions on a high speed line.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »
I cant see the reason why it took so much time. But once the malware cleaning is done lets try and figure it out. Lets do it one at a time. Just follow the essexboy's post again and do what he has said. you will get back the logs, then post it here.

dana

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 06:32:39 PM »
I'm back on my sister's computer as I am not able to get on line on my laptop..the one we've been working on..this was never a problem prior to dealing with the install and fix.
it seems since installing the latest avast I have been having trouble making an internet connection but didn't think it had anything to do with avast..until I read another forum entry....the friend who recommended using dr web also tells me he used avast but the newer versions created problems for him as well and removed avast until the bugs are worked out..

Since the f8 problem is no longer a problem I will just try to get my computer to go back online..if it doesn't before I leave for work I will uninstall it and see if I'm able to then..

this certainly is alot to deal with when all I wanted was to allow the upgrade from 4.8 which worked just fine..
my sister's computer uses a different antivirus..no problems here even when she recently allowed it to upgrade..

gotta go..