Author Topic: Avast IS 5.1.864 and network shares on Window 7 64-bit - invisible files/folders  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Mercaptan

I have two systems connected via a LAN. One is XP Pro 32-bit. The other is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

After upgrading from Avast Internet Security version 5.0.677 to 5.1.864, I discovered that several files and folders were 'missing' on the Windows 7 system when viewing a network share from the XP system. Checking the Windows 7 system itself showed that these files/folders were actually still there, they just could not be seen from the other system. The same problem occurred with other network shares. I checked security access rights and network share permissions (and in fact recreated them) to make sure that there was nothing amiss with these.

Reverting to 5.0.677 on the Windows 7 system cured the problem, but now I am stuck at that level until this problem in Avast 5.1 is fixed.

I contacted Avast, who suggested trying a beta version. I did, but it had exactly the same problem.

To factor out any interaction with other software or hardware, I temporarily reinstalled Windows 7 with no extra software (other than the Intel WiFi adapter driver) or peripheral hardware. The problem reappeared as soon as I installed the beta version of Avast. So I think it looks like a genuine problem with Avast 5.1. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You might not have noticed some of the other related posts, so you could try the pre-release build 5.1.884 (below), which is hoping to resolve some of the issues with 5.1.864.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69152.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mercaptan

Thanks to DavidR for the suggestion, but I had already tried that before posting to the forum. I found other posts relating to problems with Windows-7 64-bit, but nothing resembling mine. Whatever it is, it's completely reproducible--it's always the same files and folders that can't be seen via the LAN.

I would also like to migrate my XP 32-bit system to Windows 7 64-bit, but since the only version of Avast IS that I can find to download is post 5.0.677, I suspect it will encounter the same problem. Anyone know if Avast offers back-level versions for download? 

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
This is known issue for me, but I hadn't time to fix it yet. Uninstalling process virtualization (on Win7 x64 machine) should help. I'll fix it in next program update.

Offline Mercaptan

Thanks pk. I will try with 5.1.889 tomorrow (already updated the XP 32-bit system, but no time to do the Win7 64-bit until later).

Offline Mercaptan

OK. Uninstalling process virtualisation has bypassed the problem--a big relief for me.

I first tried upgrading to Version 5.1.889 with process virtualisation still in place. This was no good; I still had the problem of 'invisible' files/folders on some network shares on my Windows 7 64-bit system.

Then I uninstalled AIS completely, using aswClear.exe, and then reinstalled without process virtualisation and, bingo, the problem has gone away!

Any estimate of when a release with a 'proper' fix will be available?