Author Topic: why you guys hate gdata boot cd  (Read 8372 times)

nsm0220

why you guys hate gdata boot cd
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:38:27 PM »
its there reason why you don't like me tell people about gdaya boot cd i mean gdata have avast on it as engine so there should no toulep , but if have a virus that can't be remove by avast than this can save a persons pc

spg SCOTT

Re: why you guys hate gdata boot cd
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »
I am pretty sure that it is nothing about the boot cd, more the way that you post about it.

Simply posting "try a boot cd then" is not really helpful to anyone, especially when other tools can be used that don't require a cd for starters...

Also I think that it was the way it was posted. Repeated posts of similar nature are seen as spam, regardless of the product...

Just my observations...

Scott

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:01:13 PM »
Hate? Why do you think we hate it?

1. G Data BootCD
2. Dr. Web
3. Avira
4. BitDefender
5. Kaspersky
6. F-Secure
7. Vba32 Rescue

You can check also this comparison article.

Integrate Multiple Antivirus Rescue Disk into One Single Disc or USB Flash Drive with SARDU. The most compreensive cleaning CD.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:12:58 PM »
It also isn't the panacea that you think it is as a) avast has a boot-time scan if there is a problem that can't be dealt with in windows and b) avast makes up one half of GData so I don't see it bringing much more to the party.

But it has to be offered in the right circumstances not for absolutely everything as you frequently do.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:36:36 PM »
I am pretty sure that it is nothing about the boot cd, more the way that you post about it.

Simply posting "try a boot cd then" is not really helpful to anyone, especially when other tools can be used that don't require a cd for starters...

Also I think that it was the way it was posted. Repeated posts of similar nature are seen as spam, regardless of the product...

Just my observations...

Scott

+1 nothing to add ;)

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:39:05 PM »
Hi :)

What do you think about Vipre Rescue CD?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:57:53 PM »
Lets not dive off-topic here we are talking of a specific boot CD, not boot/rescue CDs in general.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 12:49:06 AM »
What do you think about Vipre Rescue CD?
Don't know.
It is NOT even in the http://www.av-comparatives.org/ summary of 2010.
The best things in life are free.

sded

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 01:15:57 AM »
There are actually lots of recovery tools in Vista and and W7 if your computer won't boot, but virus removal is not a 100% science.  I highly recommend something like the Macrium Reflect boot disk or similar from Acronis, other vendors.  I use Macrium Free to generate the Linux boot CD, then make an image of the system regularly so that there is always one from before any virus infestation, and restore the safe image including the Master Boot Record by booting into the Linux environment.  Seems a lot safer to me.  Should be part of every anti-malware suite of programs.  :)  So I don't think much of any of these AV vendor boot CDs.  :(

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 09:59:28 AM »
It also isn't the panacea that you think it is as a) avast has a boot-time scan if there is a problem that can't be dealt with in windows and b) avast makes up one half of GData so I don't see it bringing much more to the party.

But it has to be offered in the right circumstances not for absolutely everything as you frequently do.
+1
Not every suggestion to a user's problem is "try Gdata boot cd."  Thought needs to be put into a response when posting, and this isn't being done when the same post is being posting over and over again and is not helpful to the user.