Author Topic: Avast Pro/Home detects "Genie Backup Manager Pro" as virus?  (Read 5611 times)

bahes

Avast Pro/Home detects "Genie Backup Manager Pro" as virus?
« on: August 27, 2004, 11:40:53 PM »
Hi !

I have a problem with Avast Home. I have downloaded backup utility from http://www.genie-soft.com. During installation avast reacts:

"Sign of "Win32:Trojano-279 [Trj]" has been found in "C:\Program Files\Genie-Soft\GBMPro 5.0\GenieEyesonly.exe" file."

I've scanned entire system from viruses and found none but when I try to install this utility it blocks install.

Thanks!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast Pro/Home detects "Genie Backup Manager Pro" as virus?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 11:44:14 PM »
Please send the file in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com
Put in the email that you think it is a false positive, as what it is detected exactly and don't forget to mention the pasword in the email

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 11:55:20 PM »
avast detects CoreFTP Lite.exe as a virus... Definetively a false positive in 0435-1  :(
The best things in life are free.

bahes

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 12:13:26 AM »
I've mailed you .exe.

What do you mean by  "false positive" ?
Sorry but I'm new here :-)

Jlo

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 01:21:05 AM »
Hi,

I think this has just been fixed in the latest update.

Cheers

Jlo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 02:14:36 AM »
What do you mean by  "false positive" ?

A false detection of virus, you think you're infected but you're not  ;)
The result is not positive: infected. But, false positive: you think you are but are not  ;)
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 08:06:29 AM »

Bahes, welcome to the forums!  

Make sure your avast is up-to-date as there were 2 of those today.    :)  

bahes

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 08:53:29 AM »

Excellent job avast team done! Very fast reaction!
My avast downloaded latest VPS and everything is working OK! ;)

My suggestion would be to work on better feedback system...something like "Microsoft Error Reporting" in Windows XP.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 02:13:56 PM »

My suggestion would be to work on better feedback system...something like "Microsoft Error Reporting" in Windows XP.

Do you really believe this speed of response has anything to learn from Microsoft? This was picked up in the forums yesterday and a fix is here today.

I think care should be taken, adding another level of reporting would require another level of monitoring, possinbly slowing response times.

I'm sure and Error reporting tool would posibly speed notification (but these forums are fast, if something is not as it should it's posted and resolved fast). What happens to MS Error Reports? it doesn't seem to speed their response to problems, at best you have to wait until the next months patches.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bahes

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 03:53:22 PM »

Do you really believe this speed of response has anything to learn from Microsoft? This was picked up in the forums yesterday and a fix is here today.

I think care should be taken, adding another level of reporting would require another level of monitoring, possinbly slowing response times.

I'm sure and Error reporting tool would posibly speed notification (but these forums are fast, if something is not as it should it's posted and resolved fast). What happens to MS Error Reports? it doesn't seem to speed their response to problems, at best you have to wait until the next months patches.

I was just pointing out that when something goes wrong with avast (crash, etc...) it would be nice to have simple UI (like the one in Windows XP for Error reporting) to send data to team...

Microsoft is something different... ;)

Bye