Author Topic: Cannot update program files: Error during D/L & Install  (Read 56548 times)

downsouth

Re: Cannot update program files: Error during D/L & Install
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2011, 10:10:10 PM »
Same problem. Fresh install of Win 7 Pro and Avast. Program reports it is at correct version but I got, and still get, error 412. ISP is Paradise.

And they want me to move to, or look at, cloud computing !!!!!!!!!!

Stu123

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »
Snap - same issue in NZ using Telstra

This happened on the previous major Avast version upgrade, but I can't remember what the fix was

It has just worked Ok - wasn't working a couple of hours ago

doluck

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2011, 11:26:19 PM »
This morning i seem to be able to manually check for program updates but still can't manually or auto check for definitions

Offline MaxLV

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2011, 11:42:41 PM »
This morning i seem to be able to manually check for program updates but still can't manually or auto check for definitions

Just did a manual check for the virus def file, successful on first attempt, virus def file updated again today now is 110115-1 at 08:47:12am. Second attempt failed again with http 412 error, and auto update is still showing red failed warning.

doluck

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2011, 11:52:10 PM »
yer i still get the auto update red flag on xp. win7 hasn't done a update check since yesterday even with restarts

doluck

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2011, 04:08:30 AM »
Still having problems, gonna try for a clean install

doluck

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2011, 04:54:02 AM »
Nope didn't work. If this doesn't get fixed I'm going to have to move another virus program

Offline MaxLV

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2011, 08:55:21 AM »
Nope didn't work. If this doesn't get fixed I'm going to have to move another virus program

I have reverted back to v5.0.677 on all 3 computers and it's running properly now, the update checks are completing successfully, no more http 412 errors.

It would appear that v5.0.889 has serious bug in it's update process.

Iceni

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »
I'm also unable to update from New Zealand (Last encounted error:Other HTTP error (412) while trying 74.86.186.6:80//iavs5x/prod-ais.vpx) at 6:25 am Monday 17-1-11. I notice that there are no replies from Avast to this problem which seems strange with the amount of posters complaining. When will NZ users be able to use Avast updating again? 

mitchell64

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »

I have reverted back to v5.0.677 on all 3 computers and it's running properly now, the update checks are completing successfully, no more http 412 errors.

It would appear that v5.0.889 has serious bug in it's update process.

I was wondering if it was the build, i don't have an installer of any previous builds.

Monday morning now in New Zealand still have not had a definitions update

MRex21

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »
I am having the same problem.  California, United States.  Fix did not work.  I've been getting the 412 error for about four days now.

AVG is working and scanned computer.  No viruses.  Please help.

mitchell64

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2011, 10:03:05 PM »
I managed to force an update manually, it takes repeatedly pressing check for updates around 8 to 10 times.
But the issue is still there next time i try, i repeated the process just to confirm i was up to date.

At least it got my definitions up to date

hknett

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2011, 10:28:44 PM »
I'm also unable to update from New Zealand (Last encounted error:Other HTTP error (412) while trying 74.86.186.6:80//iavs5x/prod-ais.vpx) at 6:25 am Monday 17-1-11. I notice that there are no replies from Avast to this problem which seems strange with the amount of posters complaining. When will NZ users be able to use Avast updating again? 

You're absolutely right. What's more, I sent Vlk the log file he requested in another thread via email (as per his request) and there's been no reply for almost 48 hours. I suppose it's because of the weekend? Still waiting for Avast to wakey wakey. Hope that'll be soon because this is just too annoying.

Looking for other, BETTER alternatives than Avast by now. Maybe it's just time to move to greener pastures, eh, Avast Free users?

New year, new AV software??

YoKenny

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »
author=MRex21 link=topic=69326.msg583890#msg583890 date=1295210286
AVG is working and scanned computer.  No viruses.  Please help.
You can not have 2 anti virus applications on your system.

You will have to choose between avast! or AVG.

Why do New Zealand users seem to have a problem ???
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:36:44 PM by YoKenny »

hknett

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Ok guys, I think I've made my decision. I'll be switching over to AVG if Avast doesn't succeed in either effectively responding to the several complaints posted here and possibly in other threads within the next 24 hours (to be fair to them since this is the first time I've had a problem w/ the free version). Just read a really useful article on AV software in Web User magazine and Avast didn't even feature in their top-ten list of both paid and free AV software. AVG, the FREE version mind you, was on TOP of the list!

Edit: It's actually a top 14 list, not top 10.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:44:47 PM by hknett »