Author Topic: Cannot update program files: Error during D/L & Install  (Read 56315 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot update program files: Error during D/L & Install
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 02:05:10 AM »
If at any time you had a proxy determined in the Internet Explorer settings, then direct connection may well fail, usually it is the reverse where the Auto detect fails and changing to Direct connection (no proxy) is the solution ;D

I've never had a proxy in Internet Explorer settings.  Only with this 5.1.889 update did Direct Connection setting cause problems with Avast, and it started occurring during the GUI update from 5.1.884 PR. :P :-\ ???

I think it somewhat strange if it worked with 5.1.884 I would have though it would work with 5.1.889.

I'm on XP Pro and on win7 starter (clean install of 5.1.864 and UI update to 5.1.889) and both work. I did the beta testing on my XP Pro system and that was set to direct connection and the updates worked right up to 5.1.863 (just before 5.1.964).

Unfortunately after the beta testing I did a clean reinstall on my XP Pro system and that is set to Auto detect, so I didn't notice any problem in 5.1.864 nor when I did a program update from the UI to the 5.1.889 build as it was still set to the default Auto detect.

A quick test changing to Direct connection (no proxy) resulted in the error, see image, I don't know what file it can't find as that would seem unrelated to the proxy settings as it doesn't even seem to get that far.

So anyone that had previously set their proxy setting to Direct connection if they didn't do a clean install of 5.1.889 (and possibly 5.1.864 or PR builds) could well fall foul of this apparent problem with the Direct connection option.

So my feeling there is something wrong in the actual update processing if Direct connection is selected, why it reports a missing file (unless that file is the one in image2, but that is located on the setup folder, image3), rather than unable to connect (which I would have expected) is something for the developers to chase down.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 02:29:02 AM »
So my feeling there is something wrong in the actual update processing if Direct connection is selected, why it reports a missing file (unless that file is the one in image2, but that is located on the setup folder, image3), rather than unable to connect (which I would have expected) is something for the developers to chase down.

I agree.  And, I'd rather have Avast set to Direct Connection.  It isn't a deal breaker, and it can be fixed during an update of greater urgency.  No need for a new release just for this, as long as people know the workaround.

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 02:52:56 AM »
Well setting to direct connection is likely to cause some issues also, as some people do use a proxy to connect (and updates would also fail) and that should be reflected in the IE connection settings. So in theory the Auto detect should be the safest option.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 03:02:24 AM »
I decided to download the full install executable in the first message of the forum instead of sending anyone my logs (makes me shiver).

Install went well, no issues upon reboot. However I decided to click on the "Update Program" button as a test, post install, and it told me the program was up to date and downloaded the latest virus definitions as well. Since one button obviously does the job, why have two?

Something peculiar though, I got the same error after the install when clicking the "Update Engine and Virus Definitions" button, which seemed to work fine prior to the install, namely:

"Last encountered error: The system cannot find the file specified."
"Total time 2s"

Of course following the advice in this thread about changing to "auto detect" under "proxy settings" seems to have fixed the problem. Not only have I never used IE but I've uninstalled it as much as MS has allowed me to.

It could be me, I used to own an Amiga 1000, but it seems as though some people make things more complicated than it needs to be.  I find myself wondering why any company such as MS could ever achieve such a monopoly in the first place.  ;-)

Thanks for the help!

Happy New Year or what ever you may currently be celebrating in your neck of the woods (life).

darkwolf

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 04:36:24 AM »
I also checked my settings in Proxy Settings, when it is set to Direct Connect it will not connect and I get the same error message.

When it is set to Auto-Detect using IE it tells me I am up to date. That may have been my problem in the first place, something changed that setting somehow.

edmuser

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 07:36:15 AM »
This seriously needs to be fixed in the program, not with various user-hacks.  These are the kinds of foolish things that alienate users.

greenknight32

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
I'm getting this same error trying to update avast! Free from 5.1.864 to 5.1.889, on Win XP SP3. Never used a beta, never used a proxy; tried switching from "Auto detect" to "Direct connection", which didn't help.

Since I'm on dial up, I'm reluctant to try reinstalling if it's not sure to fix the problem. Think this will be fixed soon? I think I may just wait.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:31:49 AM by greenknight32 »

greenknight32

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 01:12:49 PM »
All fixed, just got the update with no problems. That didn't take long; glad I waited. :D

Offline pcguy

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
Did not change anything and this morning Avast was updated automatically. Guess problem was not on my box after all.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 05:03:35 PM »
Did not change anything and this morning Avast was updated automatically. Guess problem was not on my box after all.

It was acknowledged as a server error if your proxy settings were at Direct connection, it was corrected and should work on Direct connection or Auto detect again.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline MaxLV

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »

It was acknowledged as a server error if your proxy settings were at Direct connection, it was corrected and should work on Direct connection or Auto detect again.

I have made sure all 3 computers I am using have settings set to no direct conection, set to auto detect, but am still experienceing problems when Avast Internet Security (paid for) tries to update (set to the default 240 minutes)
It comes up with the red error box, file not found in and either an http 412 or http 512 error.
There is something wrong with this latest version 5.1.889 or the Avast servers that needs to be fixed ASAP

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »
Well the file missing error was related to the server issue, which was corrected anyway. But if you set them to Auto detect, that shouldn't have been an issue either. So was that an early error before finding out about the cause I mentioned ?

I haven't come across an http error 512 before and a google on it isn't very helpful either and appears to indicate https isn't supported, so I don't see how that could be right.

The http error 412, is more common "HTTP Error 412 - Precondition failed" and I'm not sure what pre-conditions are checked for during an update or if it would fail.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Offline MaxLV

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »
Well the file missing error was related to the server issue, which was corrected anyway. But if you set them to Auto detect, that shouldn't have been an issue either. So was that an early error before finding out about the cause I mentioned ?

I haven't come across an http error 512 before and a google on it isn't very helpful either and appears to indicate https isn't supported, so I don't see how that could be right.

The http error 412, is more common "HTTP Error 412 - Precondition failed" and I'm not sure what pre-conditions are checked for during an update or if it would fail.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.
[/quote/]

Just tried that (again) on this computer, repair said Avast was successfully updated, but going to the update  option I get the error message again:

other http error (412) while trying 174.36.159.202:80//iav5x/prod-ais.vpx

a ping of 174.36.159.202 says it's a767sl.avast.com

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 11:39:16 PM »
I may be best to do a clean install on at least one system to see if that resolves it:
- Download the latest version of avast AIS, 5.1.889 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.x, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.