Author Topic: Cannot update program files: Error during D/L & Install  (Read 56305 times)

Offline MaxLV

Re: Cannot update program files: Error during D/L & Install
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2011, 11:06:30 AM »
author=MRex21 link=topic=69326.msg583890#msg583890 date=1295210286
AVG is working and scanned computer.  No viruses.  Please help.
You can not have 2 anti virus applications on your system.

You will have to choose between avast! or AVG.

Why do New Zealand users seem to have a problem ???

It's not just NZ users....

Still no response from Avast support to my technical support ticket logged on Saturday. >:(

)
Just got a response from the Avast support team to my technical support ticket.

They say there is a bug/problem with v5.1.889 (really? :o) and their advice is to use v5.0.677 until they have fixed v5.1.889  ::)

SafeSurf

« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
Just got a response from the Avast support team to my technical support ticket.

They say there is a bug/problem with v5.1.889 (really? :o) and their advice is to use v5.0.677 until they have fixed v5.1.889
Thank you for passing along the feedback.  ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2011, 05:31:26 PM »
Guys, I'm a bit confused now. Are you still talking about the "The system cannot find the file specified." error when invoking an update?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Iceni

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2011, 06:04:46 PM »
Guys, I'm a bit confused now. Are you still talking about the "The system cannot find the file specified." error when invoking an update?

Thanks
Vlk

Booted the computer up at 5.30am to-day 18-1-11 New Zealand time, the *red* avast update notice appeared instead of the normal green notice. Went into maintenance/update and done a manual update, this worked and I now have 110117-0 release date 17-1-2011.

I attempted further manual updates and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

hknett

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2011, 07:42:26 PM »
Just read a really useful article on AV software in Web User magazine and Avast didn't even feature in their top-ten list of both paid and free AV software. AVG, the FREE version mind you, was on TOP of the list!

Edit: It's actually a top 14 list, not top 10.
What Web User magazine ???

Thanks for asking. :)

Here it is: http://www.webuser.co.uk/

hknett

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2011, 07:50:34 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

Yes. Lots of users have been experiencing this problem ever since they updated Avast free to 5.1.889. The error that pops up on trying to update definitions or the program is: Last encountered error: Other HTTP error (412), while trying...

I emailed you the log you asked for in another thread. Haven't heard back yet... :(

mitchell64

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2011, 08:14:31 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

Yes, just to clarify something i updated 2 computers through the program & clean installed 1 to version 5.1.889. All three computers are standalone & had no problem at all updating for several days under the 5.1.889 build.
It just started on Saturday morning New Zealand time all three computers started returning"Other HTTP error (412)" errors both auto and manual updating.
I can force a update by repeatedly manually updating  :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2011, 08:19:36 PM »
Please send me your setup.log again (from the <avast>\setup folder).

This may actually be a slightly different issue than the one discussed previously by the original poster, that's why I would need fresh logs.

The original issue was solved (and verified by packet dumps), this is likely something different.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

mitchell64

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2011, 08:39:51 PM »

This may actually be a slightly different issue than the one discussed previously by the original poster, that's why I would need fresh logs.

The original issue was solved (and verified by packet dumps), this is likely something different.

Thanks
Vlk

Have done, i hope it is of some help.  :) via email

Iceni

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2011, 08:43:55 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

Sent to your email address.

Durk

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2011, 09:03:08 PM »
Gidday from New Zealand (0900 here 18/1) - day 4 of the "http error 14 saga". Booted computer and Avast automatically updated as it is supposed to do (110117-0). I tried a manual 'update engine & virus definitions' 10 minutes ago and failed the first attempt (error 14) and success on the second kick (110117-1), but a very slow download. Will see how the next automatic update goes.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »
Iceni,

Go to your Avast Profile and checkmark "Hide email address from public?"  It's showing and spammers harvest them.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

mitchell64

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »
Iceni,

Go to your Avast Profile and checkmark "Hide email address from public?"  It's showing and spammers harvest them.

Is mine showing? it is set to hidden but i can see it

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »
Iceni,

Not to me, but the forum user can always see their own as long as they are logged into the forum.  As an example, I use Firefox as default browser and the cookies keep me logged into the forum, and I see my email address.  When I visit the site with Opera, my email address cannot be seen by me because I'm not logged in.  Check it yourself for self assurance.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

YoKenny

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2011, 09:24:46 PM »
Only you and Moderators can see it.

By the way please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.