Author Topic: Avast 4.8 end of support  (Read 9861 times)

DeLuk

Avast 4.8 end of support
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
I'm sorry if I've missed this question answered already, in the Avast website or forum, but as I can't seem to find this info specified anywhere :-[ so I thought I'd ask...

Is there a defined date, for when Avast version 4.8 will definitely end being supported and receiving VPS database updates?  I'm aware this was initially targeted for the end of 2010/beginning of 2011.  Is there any more concrete date by now?  Is it supposed to end being supported before or after Avast 6 coming out (seen that this new major version is hoped to be released in a rather soon time, so I read), I wonder?  I wonder this now because of the "Avast upgrade warning" that is now shown on every boot.  Such warning has come up before, yet unlike then, when one could "disable" that by entering a new license number, it now seems to keep showing up on every boot even after a license number update (I have just updated my license number today).  So this makes me wonder now whether the end of support for Avast version 4.8 is really coming close and when exactly is it expected to happen?

Thanks for any enlightenment with regards to this issue. :)  (And sorry again if this matter has been discussed before already; I just don't seem to find info on it...  Perhaps a forum sticky would justify in this case?...)

Aethec

Re: Avast 4.8 end of support
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:45:53 PM »
Why would you want to use avast! 4.8?
If you are using an unsupported version of Windows, I'd bet viruses aren't written for them any more  ;D

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »
If you are using an unsupported version of Windows, I'd bet viruses aren't written for them any more  ;D
Some people have big problems with avast 5 so therefore is 4.8 availible.
Support will be gone very soon so please upgrade to avast 5.1.889 now!
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

DeLuk

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »

No, not sticking with Avast 4.8 to date due to using an unsupported version of Windows.  (Running XP SP3 here. Though I do also take care of programs updates for some relatives, and that does range from Windows 98 to Windows 7, so someone will soon end up unsupported, indeed. ::))  I admit however I remain hesitant and just haven't upgraded from Avast 4.8 so far because of the continuous reports of problems that users keep experiencing.  So let's say that I'm just patiently "standing by" for my moment to go for the upgrade. :)  (In the end it has certainly nothing to do with Avast in itself.  Which I'm mighty pleased with for long years now, if I may add, thank you so much to the team! :)  Anyway it was just the same with applying SP3 to XP.  I'm perhaps just not very daring and somehow prefer holding on for "the sunniest day" that's all. :))

Some people have big problems with avast 5 so therefore is 4.8 availible.
Support will be gone very soon so please upgrade to avast 5.1.889 now!

And yes, being aware that support for Avast 4.8 is coming to an end soon, that is precisely the reason for my query.  Other than soon, I wonder if there is any more specific date set by now?...  Is it established yet when support and VPS database updates are due to end for Avast 4.8, is there any definitive time frame?

As I was saying above, I wonder this now because of the "Avast upgrade warning" now showing on every boot (unlike before, even after updating the license number), which leads me to assume that the end of support for version 4.8 must indeed be coming close, thus I wonder when exactly is it to be expected, if it is known yet, and if it is planned to happen before or only after the release of the upcoming Avast 6?  (Not that I can't live with the warning or that it bothers me too much, it's not even that at all.  And I certainly do too understand the purpose of it, absolutely!  Though I also admit that it strikes as maybe a little bit over annoying for the warning to be displayed on every single boot? ::)  Perhaps if it would instead be set to be displayed on a more casual basis it would turn out less irritating for the user?  Allow me to say, that "attitude" of it, popping up on every boot, along with its "in your face" aspect, I must confess, even brings up memories of those Smitfraud and the likes scareware which I've had to deal with in the past...  Argh... :-X)

In the end, thank you again, for any enlightenment anyone can provide with regards to this query. :)

nord

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »

And yes, being aware that support for Avast 4.8 is coming to an end soon, that is precisely the reason for my query.  Other than soon, I wonder if there is any more specific date set by now?...  Is it established yet when support and VPS database updates are due to end for Avast 4.8, is there any definitive time frame?

As I was saying above, I wonder this now because of the "Avast upgrade warning" now showing on every boot (unlike before, even after updating the license number), which leads me to assume that the end of support for version 4.8 must indeed be coming close, thus I wonder when exactly is it to be expected, if it is known yet, and if it is planned to happen before or only after the release of the upcoming Avast 6?  

Have the same question and nowhere to be found a definitive answer, except for a cryptic note on the 4.8 popup which says 16 days til the end of time... First I've seen that little countdown, so will check tomorrow to see if it says 15.

Also have 4.8 running on a kernelex W98se notebook where there are few remaining options in the way of anti-virus software.

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »
Also have 4.8 running on a kernelex W98se notebook where there are few remaining options in the way of anti-virus software.
Let W98E rest in peace ;)

The only available anti virus for W98SE is ClamWin:
http://www.clamwin.com

No resident protection though ;)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:30:55 PM by YoKenny »

DeLuk

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »
Seen that others share the same question (not meaning nord only but I see other threads keep popping up with users wondering on when the support for Avast 4.8 is coming to end and when Avast 6 is planned to come out) and that many do too still use Avast 4.8 so I'm tempted to insist: perhaps a forum sticky would justify for this (at least whenever the dates get more definitive maybe)?... :-[

Have the same question and nowhere to be found a definitive answer, except for a cryptic note on the 4.8 popup which says 16 days til the end of time... First I've seen that little countdown, so will check tomorrow to see if it says 15.

Cryptic note on the 4.8 popup saying how many days till the end of time?...  Hmm, don't seem to see any such countdown on the upgrade popup warning I get (I'm referring to this: http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7892/avastupgradealert.jpg which you can also display if you run asw5Not2.exe in the Avast 4 program folder)...  Perhaps the popup you're referring to, nord, is rather that warning you about the license expiry time?...  If that's the case and your license is indeed expiring, then hopefully you can simply renew it, by requesting a new license number: http://www.avast.com/license-center ;)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:25:50 PM by DeLuk »

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »
Nevermind, I found the answer.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:45:54 PM by Bellzemos »
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline A. User

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 08:28:18 PM »
LOL. The last post is from January 2011 :o

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 09:14:41 PM »
Probably more importantly would have been the answer found.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline A. User

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 09:21:57 PM »
Sure. :)