Author Topic: Severe Problems with Latest Build  (Read 7022 times)

BRANDONN2008

Severe Problems with Latest Build
« on: January 13, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »
I hadn't updated to 5.1 until now, because the first 5.1 version caused many applications to crash as soon as I tried to launch them. After waiting for a newer version, I installed 5.1.889 today, clean install. I was hoping things would be okay now, but iTunes still can not run, nor can Open Office. Thankfully Firefox is working at the moment. Please help!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:07:37 AM by Brandonn2010 »

BRANDONN2008

Re: Severe Problems with Latest Build
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:57:24 PM »
Well it's even worse now. I restarted my computer, now none of my security programs load. The first time Threatfire loaded, but not Avast! or Online Armor. Firefox wouldn't work, and Ctrl+Alt+Del gave me an error. I restarted again, now none of my security programs loaded, and I got a runonce crash, I don't know what that's for. Please help before I decide to restore to before I updated Avast!

I also tried to manually start Avast! and it says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Edit: The files are there, in the Alwil Software folder, but clicking on anything produces the same message.

Edit: I tried to start Online Armor manually, and I get a memory reference error, and it crashes. I got Threatfire to start at least.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:06:33 PM by Brandonn2010 »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 10:10:51 PM »
I suggest you remove all the other security programs, uninstall avast!, clean later with avast! Removal Tool (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54385.0), reboot when requested and install avast! from scratch. I found it strange that you have so many problems.
I've had few but not this severe and they were fixed with new builds.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »
So uninstall Online Armor and Threatfire?

Also, is there a difference between aswclear and aswclear5? http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:13:50 PM by Brandonn2010 »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 10:27:21 PM »
There's definitely something wrong with your installation... iTunes should work without any problems, and so does OpenOffice...

As RejZoR already said, please try uninstalling avast (e.g. using the uninstall tool from the link in your last post), reboot, verify that everything works OK, and install avast again from scratch.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 10:31:57 PM »
Well I started with uninstalling Threatfire. Upon reboot, Avast! started up, which was good, but Online Armor popped up a red alert saying Avast! was trying to create an executable. I allowed it, and then it popped up saying it had blocked Avastui, and something else. I said to trust them and allow. Now everything loads fine without crashing. So I'm not sure it if was Threatfire or Online Armor. What should I do now?

Any logs or files you would like?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:37:01 PM by Brandonn2010 »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »
I'd say something is going on with online Armor, preventing avast! from working right.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

sded

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 11:51:07 PM »
Have you gone to options/exclusions in OA and excluded the avast5 folder there?  Others have recommended also going to the avast! fileshield expert settings/exclusions and adding the OA processes there.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 02:18:34 AM »
I've added each other to the other's exclusions. Hopefully things stay okay. It still seems like it was Threatfire since removing that fixed things. It was probably overkill anyway with OA's HIPS. It never gave me anything other than false positives.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 03:11:04 AM »
Well I spoke too soon. I noticed that it took much longer for my internet to connect, and for Online Armor to load, so I uninstalled the Behavior Shield, thinking that may have something to do with it. I also uninstalled the P2P, Mail, and IM shields, since I don't use them. Upon reboot, OA didn't load at all. I tried to open CCleaner to uninstall it, to see if it is still a problem, despite adding Avast! to it's exclusions and vice-versa. CCleaner failed to open, I got the same error about the path being invalid and not existing or something. Then that error message froze, and my whole computer froze up. Then the screen went black except for my cursor, probably explorer.exe crashing. I hard-booted my computer, and everything loaded fine. Not sure what to do...

EDIT: I just realized I added OA to Avast!s scan exclusion, not the File Shield exclusion. Restarted and everything's still okay for now. Problem here, problem gone, make up your mind!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:21:28 AM by Brandonn2010 »

gumby6131

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 04:23:19 PM »
Well it's even worse now. I restarted my computer, now none of my security programs load. The first time Threatfire loaded, but not Avast! or Online Armor. Firefox wouldn't work, and Ctrl+Alt+Del gave me an error. I restarted again, now none of my security programs loaded, and I got a runonce crash, I don't know what that's for. Please help before I decide to restore to before I updated Avast!

I also tried to manually start Avast! and it says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Edit: The files are there, in the Alwil Software folder, but clicking on anything produces the same message.

Edit: I tried to start Online Armor manually, and I get a memory reference error, and it crashes. I got Threatfire to start at least.

I am also experiencing these issues.

We have Online Armor in common.

brhokla

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »
I had the exact problem and Online Armor/Avast new update had several issues.  Do what I did....  Turn online armor completely off. Uninstall Avast then use the Avast removal tool..  Now install the new Avast after a reboot while making sure your Online Armor is OFF!!!!!!  Once installed do a reboot and you will have to tell Online Armor that the Avast stuff is OK.  Should run fine now.  My system wouldn't do anything, was crawling but once I did these steps it now runs fine.

gumby6131

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 04:36:31 PM »
I had the exact problem and Online Armor/Avast new update had several issues.  Do what I did....  Turn online armor completely off. Uninstall Avast then use the Avast removal tool..  Now install the new Avast after a reboot while making sure your Online Armor is OFF!!!!!!  Once installed do a reboot and you will have to tell Online Armor that the Avast stuff is OK.  Should run fine now.  My system wouldn't do anything, was crawling but once I did these steps it now runs fine.

Will try that.
Thx brhokla

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »
I would have thought turning on the OA learning mode when installing avast would have been enough for it to identify what avast is doing than having to turn off OA and then go through a Spanish Inquisition about avast processes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 10:52:54 PM »
I would have thought turning on the OA learning mode when installing avast would have been enough for it to identify what avast is doing than having to turn off OA and then go through a Spanish Inquisition about avast processes.
I would hate to go through a Spanish Inqisition.  ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprjmoSMJ-o