Author Topic: Avast's competitions  (Read 8074 times)

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
Avast's competitions
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
is Avast PRO or internet security better than ESET?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:26:15 PM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: ESET vs. Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:00:27 PM »
What answer do you think your going to get on the avast forum, why dont you download eset and decide for yourself.

Silk0

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 02:07:26 PM »
Better on what?
Detection, performance, false positives, removal of malware..?

Better is very subjective..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/summary-reports Summary of 2010 compares the install/use of both.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »
Since the time it was actually referred to as "Hospital at the Edge of the Disk", I have trialled/tested NOD32 many times with great satisfaction.

Personal Cons:
More expensive
No IMAP scanning
Don't like the robot logo (Yea, I know it's trivial ;D)
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »
is Avast PRO or internet security better than ESET?

Sure. ;D 8)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
SORRY, I just want to ask what paid security suite is better. Someone says that the avast internet security or pro is better, someone that eset is better. I don't want to try It on my pc because it's too long process and can cause conflicts (avast hate ESET).
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »
SORRY, I just want to ask what paid security suite is better. Someone says that the avast internet security or pro is better, someone that eset is better. I don't want to try It on my pc because it's too long process and can cause conflicts (avast hate ESET).

Try/buy Avast Internet Security you won,t be a disappointed. ;)

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »

1. i'm not internet manager
2. I don't have sensitive data on my pc
3. I don't want to pay every year for antivirus if i can have free comodo firewall with proactive defense+ (against hackers,malware,spyware and all next stuff...) + avast free and that's better free protection than paid avast internet suite, because of sandbox that is better than avast's and proactive defense+ protection and better firewall than avast. avast firewall won't protect you from hackers (I cannot confirm this, but I read it on the forum)

and can you please tell me something about avg? can this compete to avast? (off-topic but i'm leader of this topic so I can determine what about will be this topic)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:29:29 PM »

3. I don't want to pay every year for antivirus if i can have free comodo firewall with proactive defense+ (against hackers,malware,spyware and all next stuff...) + avast free and that's better free protection than paid avast internet suite, because of sandbox that is better than avast's and proactive defense+ protection and better firewall than avast. avast firewall won't protect you from hackers (I cannot confirm this, but I read it on the forum)

and can you please tell me something about avg? can this compete to avast? (off-topic but i'm leader of this topic so I can determine what about will be this topic)

AVG was ok, but now it's bloated and slow(er) compared to Avast.  I used to use AVG and recommended it for years until I found Avast.  Now, it's a no-brainer.

Also, Avast doesn't "hate" ESET.  All resident A/V's conflict with other A/V's.  It's just how they work.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »
Better on what?

Most important thing is detection of course. Avast is ofcourse best in perfomance. But I read in av comparatives that avast is bad in removal of malware (it miss some registry entries, and this stuff can stuck computer's registry - malware can be completely deleted by avast), false positives aren't so bad on avast.

But anytime (long time version 5.0.699) I just typed in google search "nobrain.dk" and It pop-ups that it blocked trojan horse (how?) i wasn't enter that site I just type nobrain.dk into google. Is this bug?

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »

AVG was ok, but now it's bloated and slow(er) compared to Avast.  I used to use AVG and recommended it for years until I found Avast.  Now, it's a no-brainer.

Also, Avast doesn't "hate" ESET.  All resident A/V's conflict with other A/V's.  It's just how they work.

of course that more resident shields cause conflicts, but i speak about "remains" stuff of avast that can confuse ESETs shield

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »

of course that more resident shields cause conflicts, but i speak about "remains" stuff of avast that can confuse ESETs shield

Again, "remains" of A/V can happen from any A/V.  That's the reason why most A/V companies provide removal tools to fully remove their products after an un-install.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 08:43:54 PM »
Better on what?

Most important thing is detection of course. Avast is ofcourse best in perfomance. But I read in av comparatives that avast is bad in removal of malware (it miss some registry entries, and this stuff can stuck computer's registry - malware can be completely deleted by avast), false positives aren't so bad on avast.

But anytime (long time version 5.0.699) I just typed in google search "nobrain.dk" and It pop-ups that it blocked trojan horse (how?) i wasn't enter that site I just type nobrain.dk into google. Is this bug?

Not if you're using Google Chrome as your browser, since it's search bar is also the URL bar.  Typing that domain would take you directly to the webpage, thus having avast alert on it.

If you weren't using chrome, then no, it shouldn't have alerted you because you didn't access the site.  I've never seen it do that with any other site that hosts malware, so I don't know why that one would be any different.

By the way, warn someone before you post a site like that!  I did it to test, and not only was that completely nasty, it's very not work appropriate. :-[