Author Topic: AD from Avast  (Read 16444 times)

Carlmikael

AD from Avast
« on: January 14, 2011, 03:46:32 PM »
Hello
I have a friend who is blind. I have helped him to install Free Avast Antivirus. When the registration expires, then an AD from Avast pops up on the screen. As he can't see anything he has a Speech synthesis. This tool helps him to use the computer as well as anyone else. The AD blocks his Speech synthesis completely, as the AD don't use STANDARD PROCEEDING.
Every screen in other programs will disappear when you hit ALT+F4 but not this AD. As a comsequence of this he can't use his computer which is very annoying, specilly for him as he can't see. He asks me to remove this program (AVAST ANTIVIRUS). Please help him - how can he get rid of this problem. 

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
Re: AD from Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:31:10 PM »
thanks for reporting, i will fix the problem, for now he  can press Escape to close
the add window.

Carlmikael

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »
He is using windows XP and ESC don´t close the AD-window. So please hurry up to fix this irritating problem for him. OK?

rgds

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 02:30:18 PM »
He is using windows XP and ESC don´t close the AD-window. So please hurry up to fix this irritating problem for him. OK?

rgds

the tone is rude ::) ... and what prevents you from helping your friend to complete the registration process (or renew his registration for a year) and get rid of the popup ???

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:37:33 AM »

This is not an AD :

When the registration expires, then an AD from Avast pops up on the screen.

It is, however, a warning that the registration has expired, that his computer is unprotected, and that it is vulnerable to malware if all types ... some of which will also make it impossible for him to use his computer and probably for a much longer time that the pop-up will.

Please, help him with the registration so his computer will not become infected.

By the way, this warning should start appearing approximately 2 weeks before the registration expires. Expiration should not be allowed to happen. With Avast 5, registering can be done on the GUI.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:43:41 AM by CharleyO »

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:36:26 AM »
of course it's not an ad ::)

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 02:47:56 PM »
Carlmikael,

The support for 4.8 will end very shortly and that means your friend will no longer get virus definitions updates and his machine may get infected.  Therefore, we are suggesting that you help your friend to uninstall Avast 4.8 and do a clean install of a newer version.  

In the meantime, yonatan, who works for Avast, is going to fix the problem however the situation exists where your friend is going to be without antivirus updates very shortly if he doesn't get the new version installed on his machine.

Here is how to uninstall Avast 4.8 and do a clean install of the newest version and you can help him do this.  

I am giving you the download files for both 5.1.889 and the older version 5.0.677 since I don't know if the newer version is compatible with Speech synthesis.  If you install v.677 and later decide to upgrade, you will need to follow the procedure below to uninstall and do a clean install for the newer version or wait for a newer version to come out, which I'm sure there will be.

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast and save it to your HDD (hard drive):

Version 5.1.889 download files: - may/may not be compatible with Speech synthesis
Free: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe

Version 5.0.677 download files:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe

2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all Avast versions and products).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall version 4.0 and any other version and product of Avast he had on this machine at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy Free:
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Knowledge based article:
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=504#idt_0003

Let us know how this works.  Thank you.  :)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:51:08 AM by SafeSurf »

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »
@safesurf ::) what's the need to post a 10 miles long canned answer when you don't even know if the OP is using Avast 4.8 ??? and that's without saying that he precisely reported about an expiration popup, not an upgrade one ;D

edit: if you're referring to his other few posts mentioning 4.7 ... they're from 2007 :D he may be still running 4.8, but he didn't say it. But he said "avast free", and not "avast home" ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:04:52 PM by Logos »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 03:49:07 PM »
Carlmikael,

I am giving you the download files for both 5.1.889 (beta version) and the older version 5.0.677 since I don't know if the beta version is compatible with Speech synthesis.  If you install v.677 and later decide to upgrade, you will need to follow the procedure below to uninstall and do a clean install for the newer version or wait for a newer version to come out, which I'm sure there will be.

SafeSurf, I know that you are aware that Version 5.1.889 is not beta but an official release, but others may misquote this in other threads.  See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69305.0 and http://www.avast.com/release-history.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Carlmikael

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
I have register and got a new key! I have hoped that it last for almost a year but the pop up didn´t disappeared and after that he can´t use his computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 06:43:21 PM »
If you registered and got a new key, where did you input it ?

If you used the avastUI to register(?) you don't actually see a new key, that is done within the avastUI seamlessly. The Registration section should show A) Current Status: Registered, B) Current registration will expire on: and C) the Date of registration:.

What shows in these fields ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 07:36:58 PM »
I have register and got a new key! I have hoped that it last for almost a year but the pop up didn´t disappeared and after that he can´t use his computer.

What version of Avast, 4.x.x or 5.0.x or 5.1.x?
Which version did you register and receive the key for?

The answers affect the solution.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Carlmikael

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 10:56:24 AM »
Version 4.8 Home Edition
Build Sep 2009 4.8.1368
VPS 2011-01-17
Update expire 1 feb 2012

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
I have register and got a new key!

To clarify, you received a key for Avast Free/Home for 4.8 for 1 year?  Where did you get this from?  The support (virus definitions updates) will be discontinued shortly for 4.8, that is why we are having users change to a newer version, and you do not need a key to register -- it is done online within the Avast GUI.

By the way, I waiting for a reply from yonatan to find out which version is compatible with the Speech Synthesis (version 5.0 or 5.1).  We will let you know in this thread.

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 01:12:53 PM »
Hello,

I cannot reproduce this problem here - the window closes when alt+F4 is pressed.
Which version of avast are you using?
you may check it in the summary page.

thanks
Yonatan