Author Topic: AD from Avast  (Read 16443 times)

Carlmikael

Re: AD from Avast
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 10:05:17 AM »
Hello,

I cannot reproduce this problem here - the window closes when alt+F4 is pressed.
Which version of avast are you using?
you may check it in the summary page.

thanks
Yonatan
Avastversion 4.8. Home Editon
Build sep 2009 4.8.1368
regards
Mikael

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »
Is your friend using any other kind of security software currently or in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software

- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?

Sometimes remnants can cause issues.

Also, where did your friend get the 1-year license for 4.8 from?

DeLuk

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
Not sure whether adding this post will be of help, but still...

Could it be that, rather than the license expiry notification, Carlmikael is perhaps wishing to refer to the upgrade one (reads "avast! Licensing Alert" in the title bar) that, starting recently, now insistently pops up on every boot?... (This: http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7892/avastupgradealert.jpg)  This one does indeed have the looks of an ad, is rather big (in a 800x600 resolution, it pretty much takes the whole screen), it indeed does not close by pressing ALT+F4 (even though, if you right-click its button in the task bar or click the icon in its window title bar, it does show the usual "X Close ALT+F4") but only by hitting the [X] in the window upper right corner, and, as I was also mentioning in another thread, unlike before, this upgrade notification popup doesn't seem to get "disabled" by re-registering/entering a new license key (I too have tried that only to conclude it now no longer results).

To clarify, you received a key for Avast Free/Home for 4.8 for 1 year?  Where did you get this from?

Also, where did your friend get the 1-year license for 4.8 from?

Then again, concerning SafeSurf's question above, I can also add, as I had also mentioned in that other thread, that I too have just re-registered my Avast Home 4.8 (just last week, on the 13th) and received too a new license key, expiring on February 1st 2012 at 00:00:00.  (Previous key would expire only in summer, June or July, can't remember for sure now, but as I was saying, I went for renewal now in hope that that would, as it had before, "disable" the upgrade notification popup. Regrettably though it didn't now.)  Registration done, as per usual, via the Avast website, license centre page: http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

On the other hand, and back to the Avast upgrade notification popup (in case of that being the case upsetting Carlmikael and his friend) and to "disabling" it (i.e. keep it from popping up on every boot), if helpful (eventually it may work out as a temporary alternative solution?) I can perhaps still add that the one way I could go around that was to rename the executable file that displays this popup, asw5Not2.exe (which is found in the Avast 4 program folder, %programfiles%\Alwil Software\Avast4\, and which I simply renamed to asw5Not2.exe.old).  I only do wonder whether doing this, renaming this specific file, bares any unwanted side effect to the normal functioning of Avast? ???  Also, a note to add that in order to be able to rename an Avast file (otherwise there'll be a message stating access denied) one must either previously temporarily disable Avast's self defence module (Settings > Troubleshooting > Disable avast! self defence module) or alternatively rename the file in Safe Mode (since Avast isn't running then, obviously). (Note: If chosen to temporarily disable Avast's self defence module, do remember to re-enable it back again afterwards, unticking the respective settings box.)

All in all, none of this invalidates, of course, the main advice here, which should be to upgrade Avast to the latest version 5 (which altogether rids users of the upgrade notification popup, of course) granting the best protection and as well seen that support for version 4.8 is actually due to end in a short time.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:04:22 PM by DeLuk »

swarnava

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 03:21:23 PM »
Hey carlmikael

tell your friend to upgrade 4.8 to 5.1 as soon as possible because if he enter a new key he still got popup to upgrade 5.1. And  also vps of 4.8 are shut down soon so it is worth to use antivirus without vps.

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 06:38:21 PM »
hello

In avast versions 5 and above this problem is solved - it is possible to close our windows pressing alt+f4

thnaks
Yonatan

Carlmikael

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 11:51:44 PM »
hello

In avast versions 5 and above this problem is solved - it is possible to close our windows pressing alt+f4

thnaks
Yonatan

I understand that is not possible to usr 4.8 anymore .. but vps is still updating  :( :(

CharleyO

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 10:25:15 AM »

Yes, but the 4.8 vps updates will stop very soon.

That is why everyone is trying to get you to update his 4.8 to 5.1 soon.

Carlmikael

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 04:56:19 PM »

I don´t think this is fair.. First make change that software so don´t work but still updating just to make me change the version. Perhaps there is someone else makeing antivirus software.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 05:14:11 PM »
Fair has nothing to do with it, would you rather they stopped you from updating the license before avast 4.8 support ends completely ?

That wouldn't be fair on those with windows 9.x or winME who can't switch to avast 5.1, so it has to be available for them until the VPS update cease.

Even though you got the new registration you are still going to get the notifications and so now really is the time to make the switch when you have time to plan, not when someone finally throws the switch.

There are plenty of other people making anti-virus software, but what difference does that make, as essentially you are having to do the same switch from avast 4.8.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 03:53:32 AM »

I don´t think this is fair.. First make change that software so don´t work but still updating just to make me change the version. Perhaps there is someone else makeing antivirus software.
Please take DavidR's advice and switch to 5.1.889. Especially since the life line for 4.8 is getting short.
For more information see: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69305.msg582277#msg582277. Hope this will help solve your issue. 5.1.889 is extremely stable and the reliability of avast is already there. If you choose not to update you will lose your protection. I suggest maintaining protection is your first priority.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

CharleyO

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 10:01:28 AM »

No, 4.8 is still working though it was scheduled to stop working 2 months ago. But, Avast has been kind enough to keep it working a few months longer so that you and others can update without loosing protection. But, still you are resisting. WHY?   ???

Avast can not continue to produce 2 different vps updates forever.

And as DavidR said, changing from 4.8 to 5.1 is the same steps as changing from 4.8 to another antivirus which, by the way, you might not be happy with using.

The basic result is the same. You will be changing from 4.8 but the time is very short.

Your friend will not be very happy if his computer becomes infected and he can not use it.