Author Topic: I'm having a problem with Version 5 with Windows XP?  (Read 3915 times)

Freebird

I'm having a problem with Version 5 with Windows XP?
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:28:54 AM »
Hi.    I’ve been using Avast 4 Free Edition for about 3 years now and I really like the way it protects my system.   It doesn’t slow me down like a few other virus programs I’ve used in the past.    But I’m having a problem updating to the newer version 5.    Maybe someone could be so kind and help me out?

When I updated to the newer version and then rebooted my system, I tried a “quick’ scan which worked great.   Later on I wanted to do a more thorough scan so I clicked on “full” and then O.K.   After a few minutes everything just stopped working!!!    It stood idle  for about 20 minutes.  I tried to close Avast but to no avail, so I had to do a hard shutdown.   I rebooted and tried running a Full Scan once again and the same thing happened.   So I had to do another hard shutdown and when I rebooted I tried running a “custom” scan.   Same results.      So I uninstalled the program under Add/Remove, deleting all entries from the registry, then did a fresh install of version 5.   Guess what, same results!!!   It looks like all I can run is a “quick” scan with version 5.    So I went back and reinstalled 4.8.     It works great on my system: Windows XP with no problems.

If someone could help me out why I’m having troubles with "5", I’d truly appreciate it?

Thanks for your time.

John

Roger33

Re: I'm having a problem with Version 5 with Windows XP?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:12:06 AM »
Freebird, I had a similar experience this morning.  Computer came on and a (supposedly) Windows scan was scanning my whole system.  I could not control anything, so I manually shutdown the comp, rebooted, the scanner was gone, and I saw a msg in the sys tray that avast! virus protection (not the entire program) had been rendered inoperable.  I tried the repair function with no avail.

I uninstalled avast! 4 and upgraded to avast! 5, did a full scan and no detections.  I also did a malwarebytes scan which showed no detections.

It seems I'm OK now, but I don't know how or why my virus protection was made inoperable, and why the Windows scan was occurring.  I stopped that scan because it showed 0% done after ten minutes or so, and it obviously would have taken many hours to complete.

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:49:55 AM »
What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software
How did you remove/uninstall the previous security software?  Vendor's uninstaller tool or some other way?

Since you mention that you are trying to install Avast 5, I am assuming you mean the latest version of 5.1.889 and not 5.0 (last version being 5.0.677).

You can first try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

If the Avast Repair fails to fix your problem, then I suggest an Avast uninstall and clean install:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast 5.0.889 and save it to your HDD:
Free: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all Avast versions and products).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  You will need to uninstall version 4.0, 5.0 (if you installed it), and 5.1 (if you installed it) at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Please let us know how this works for you and let me know what other security programs you have installed on your machines (first question).  Thank you.

Freebird

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:27:59 AM »
Hi guys.    Thanks for trying to help me out.    I appreciate it.    Reading threw some of the other posts; I see that there are a few others like myself who are having problems with version 5.

“SafeSurf”, I’m going to try a few of the suggestions you have mentioned, and see what happens.   As for Antivirus Programs, “avast” is the only program at the moment that I have installed.   In the past I have used AVG, but switched over due to the way it had slowed down my system.    I did uninstall it through ADD/REMOVE Programs and deleted all registry keys.   For my firewall, I use Windows that had come with XP.    I did notice that avast Antivirus wasn’t added to the “Exception” List, so I added it.   I don’t know if it will make a difference, but we’ll see.    And I also tried installing 5.1.889 but had the same results.

The thing that mystifies me is that 4.8 works “perfect” on my system.   It notifies me there’s an update, always scans any file or folder while opening, and will run any scan: Full, Selected Folders etc. to completion without any problem!   And it doesn’t slow my system down at all.  Like I have mentioned, with version 5, I can only run a quick scan.    On full scans or custom scans, the program will run for a short time and then stops responding.   It locks up my system and I have to do a manual or hard shutdown, something on the line as: “Roger33” experienced.

Well if I can’t get version 5 to run correctly, I’ll just have to use version 4.8 until they stop honoring or adding updates.    Then I’ll have to look for a new Antivirus program.    And it looks like I won’t be alone.   From what I’ve read, a few others will be in the same boat.

Thanks again for trying to help.

John

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:43:31 AM »
You can get uninstallers for your previous av's here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
You do not have to add avast to the exceptions in window's firewall

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:03:36 AM »
I highly recommend that you use the AVG uninstaller tool http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools to remove all remnants of AVG, then reboot your machine.  Remnants may be causing your problems.

You may need to do an Avast Repair after this (see my previous post).  If this fails to fix your problem, then an Avast uninstall and clean install would be needed since having remnants of a prior AV in your system could have corrupted the Avast install.

Another thing to mention is that the XP firewall (FW) is a very weak 1-way protection, so you may want to think about a 2-way third-party FW for better protection.

Should you continue to have problems, instead of continuing with 4.8, consider at least doing a clean install of 5.0.677 instead of giving up on Avast.  This was a stable version.  Here is the download file:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe

This version will be supported for another year, and if you decide to change to a more current version, you can than uninstall and do a clean install then.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 01:50:14 PM »
@ Freebird

What is the Service Pack level of XP ???
How much RAM does the system have ???

Freebird

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
@ Freebird

What is the Service Pack level of XP ???
How much RAM does the system have ???

Service Pack 2 with 2 Gig of Ram installed.

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »
Service Pack 2 with 2 Gig of Ram installed.
Please read:
Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 ends on July 13, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31

You should update to XP SP3 as it has many Critical Updates and several performance improvements.