Author Topic: Avast Internet Security/Online Armor? (protecting against hackers)  (Read 7669 times)

zzcool

hi i got a simple question i own avast internet security 5 and my question is is online armor better to protect against hackers i mean they both have firewalls but i read that online armor protects ALOT better in terms of hackers trying to get in to your pc i bought avast to protect me against everything does the avast firewall really do that

thankyou for answers

REASON:i got a person threatning to hack me so i'd like to be safe

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:28:00 PM by zzcool »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast Pro/Online Armor?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »
Avast Pro does not have a firewall, AIS does.

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »
avast! Pro V5 does not have a firewall.

See the comparison chart:
http://www.avast.com/comparison-chart

Online Arrmor is a good firewall.

zzcool

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »
Avast Pro does not have a firewall, AIS does.

oh i forgot theres 2 avast pro and internet security either way i own internet security so it does have a firewall

sorry for a misleading title i forgot that theres 2 payed versions
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:29:20 PM by zzcool »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast Internet Security/Online Armor? (protecting against hackers)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »
You'll be fine with the avast firewall, it's good, plus you wont have to add exclusions for a different firewall

zzcool

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »
You'll be fine with the avast firewall, it's good, plus you wont have to add exclusions for a different firewall

so it's as good as armor at protecting from hackers to get in your pc

FYI

i never open anything i find suspicious nor any website so i am not unsafe

so i am mainly asking about protection against hackers who can hack your pc without you opening any of there programs etc

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »
Usually the people that threaten these thing's dont have the ability to do so, if they were able to do it they would do so without telling you so you wouldn't be prepaired, it's like someone telling me there going to steal my car before they actually do it, of course im going to have a big savage dog sitting in the car waiting for him ;D
Well i haven't actually used the avast firewall but at the same time i haven't heard any complaint's about it and both the firewall's have a few different feature's but i would say that you'll be safe with the avast one, you paid for it so you might as well use it.

sded

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 06:57:35 PM »
AIS firewall should work fine for you in Public Zone.  I would also get rid of any unneeded "friends" just in case,  What Windows version are you using?  Are you wired or wireless?

zzcool

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »
AIS firewall should work fine for you in Public Zone.  I would also get rid of any unneeded "friends" just in case,  What Windows version are you using?  Are you wired or wireless?

i use windows 7 ultimate 32 bit

and i use cable offcourse my family uses wireless so we do have wireless but me myself cable

sded

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »
The W7 firewall is quite good, although not nearly as configurable as AIS, and I might suggest you also turn that on temporarily while "learning" the AIS firewall if you are really concerned about the hacker being any good at it.

ImWarm

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »
Yes AIS will block hackers. If you have someone threatening to hack you, and you feel like you need to, switch the mode to High Risk Zone, also known as Public, for maximum security. It will block all incoming connections, making your computer invisible to others.

zzcool

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 01:10:40 AM »
Yes AIS will block hackers. If you have someone threatening to hack you, and you feel like you need to, switch the mode to High Risk Zone, also known as Public, for maximum security. It will block all incoming connections, making your computer invisible to others.

is there any way to have it stay at home mode but have some kind of confirmation window at any incoming connection and not being very annoying every 5th min?

and should i set AvastSvc.exe priority to max as it's set to normal or will that kill my internet speed and would it be useful to do?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:24:11 AM by zzcool »

dazzle1972

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 05:31:44 AM »
Hello.
Im new to the avast forum so im just saying hi.
im actually running online armor and avast together and they work in harmony very well.
thanks.

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »
im actually running online armor and avast together and they work in harmony very well.
Hello dazzle1972 and welcome to the forum.  Hopefully you are using Avast Free or Pro with OA, and not AIS (which has a firewall), since you cannot run 2 firewalls in the same machine or they will conflict.