Author Topic: Cannot Safely Remove USB  (Read 13300 times)

Kaseydaddy

Cannot Safely Remove USB
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:10:37 AM »
Windows XP Pro, SP3, all updates. I upgraded from Avast Free 5.0.677 to 5.1.889, and, like many others have reported, I can no longer safely remove any USB devices, whether thumb drives or external drives. The 'safely remove' window no longer comes up. Simply says cannot remove device, being accessed by another application. I certainly hope you have a fix, soon. This is not acceptable. Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot Safely Remove USB
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 01:40:11 AM »
I have the same OS and avast version, yet I don't have that problem.

I also have a netbook with win7 starter and avast 5.1.889 and no problem with the USB safe removal/unplug USB.

So the problem is one of consistency if they are to find the cause.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:44:07 AM »
Support Alert, May 15, 2008
The quick way to safely remove USB drives

Before you unplug a USB device such as a flash drive or external hard disk, you really should use the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" feature to ensure that Windows has written everything to the device.

That's because Windows, to improve performance, uses a technique called "deferred writes" wherein Windows doesn't always immediately write everything to your external drive each time you use it. Rather, it consolidates lots of small writes into one big write by holding the data in memory.

It's just like washing the dishes; it's far more efficient to do one dishwasher load per day than do a load each time you use a single cup or plate.

But the downside is that some of the data you think you transferred to your USB drive may actually still be in your computer's memory. That's why you shouldn't just pull the drive out but first use the Safely Remove Hardware icon to force Windows to write to the drive anything it is holding in memory.

That's easy enough to say, but the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" feature is confusing to use, particularly if you have several USB devices. Worse still, the icon often goes missing from the system tray.

"USB Disk Ejector" is a small utility that does the same thing as the Windows "Safely Remove Device" applet, except that it does it quicker and better.

cont here

http://windowssecrets.com/support-alert/2008/05/15/24-The-quick-way-to-safely-remove-USB-drives

Kaseydaddy

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 02:21:38 AM »
I have the same OS and avast version, yet I don't have that problem.

I also have a netbook with win7 starter and avast 5.1.889 and no problem with the USB safe removal/unplug USB.

So the problem is one of consistency if they are to find the cause.

If you read many of the similar posts, some people don't have the problem, some do. I appreciate that you don't have the problem, but I do. Therefore, your comments don't really help a lot. Thanks.

Kaseydaddy

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 02:24:17 AM »

Before you unplug a USB device such as a flash drive or external hard disk, you really should use the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" feature to ensure that Windows has written everything to the device.

That's because Windows, to improve performance, uses a technique called "deferred writes" wherein Windows doesn't always immediately write everything to your external drive each time you use it. Rather, it consolidates lots of small writes into one big write by holding the data in memory.

It's just like washing the dishes; it's far more efficient to do one dishwasher load per day than do a load each time you use a single cup or plate.

But the downside is that some of the data you think you transferred to your USB drive may actually still be in your computer's memory. That's why you shouldn't just pull the drive out but first use the Safely Remove Hardware icon to force Windows to write to the drive anything it is holding in memory.

That's easy enough to say, but the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" feature is confusing to use, particularly if you have several USB devices. Worse still, the icon often goes missing from the system tray.

"USB Disk Ejector" is a small utility that does the same thing as the Windows "Safely Remove Device" applet, except that it does it quicker and better.

cont here

http://windowssecrets.com/support-alert/2008/05/15/24-The-quick-way-to-safely-remove-USB-drives

You need to read the posts that others have made with the same problem as I have. The "Safe to Remove" no longer comes up! There is no choice to safely remove the USB device. It's gone, since the upgrade. I know how it is supposed to work, but it doesn't anymore!

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 03:54:04 AM »

cont here

You need to read the posts that others have made with the same problem as I have. The "Safe to Remove" no longer comes up! There is no choice to safely remove the USB device. It's gone, since the upgrade. I know how it is supposed to work, but it doesn't anymore!

Excuse me

You need to read my posts

I know all about the default XP safely remove program and icon
I suggested installing a third party "safely remove hardware" software that is better than the default XP safely remove program regardless of whether or not it comes up. 

If you want to know how to bring it back up I suggest that you ask on a Windows XP forum because the problem is most likely related to XP which is outdated and has a number of issues including security issues.

Have a good day

GaAs

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »
No problem on my XP Pro system nor my Windows 7 system.

The latest avast! V5.1.889 fixed all my issues with removing USB devices.

gentle4ug

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »
I have the same problem on Windows 7 32 bit.  The USB drive seems to be still in use.  The Avast team seems to be working on it.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »
Whew!  Good thing I haven't updated to 5.1.889 yet.
It'll probably be another week or two by the time I have to go to my sister's place to get a haircut ... and have an excuse to use her High Speed Internet then.  ;D
Hopefully this USB Safe Removal issue will be fixed by then.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
That really isn't an excuse to update, as at worst for you on XP it is a pain in the rear and there are ways round it in the meantime.

Check this post by Nesivos, Reply #2 above http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69411.msg583158#msg583158. This gives a link to a tool to use should you have this problem, works on Windows 2000 -> Vista, I don't know about win7 as it pre-dates win7.

There is no certainty that you will even have this problem, I don't on XP Pro SP3 or win7 starter. So lets not go jumping the gun.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 10:58:18 PM »
Let's not go jumping the gun?  How?  How would I be jumping the gun?
True, there's no guarantee that my Windows XP would even exhibit this problem.
But, the point is moot.  I can't update even if I wanted to.  Like I said, I have to wait until I get access to my sister's High Speed Internet if I want to update via a clean update, which I much rather prefer.

But, just in case I get bold and adventurous enough, does anyone know what probable size of a PROGRAM Update it would be to update from my current 5.0.677 to 5.1.889 via the GUI PROGRAM Update option?  If it's no worse, no bigger than the typical PROGRAM Update sizes we had with 4.8, then I COULD PROGRAM Update via the GUI with my Dial Up.  We're NOT talking 15 to 20 Meg or higher, are we?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 11:22:49 PM »
By assuming that if you install 5.1.889 you are automatically going to be hit with a USB problem as you asserted.

Quote from: Chim
Whew!  Good thing I haven't updated to 5.1.889 yet.

I don't know who big the update would be from the GUI, nut it is possibly manageable on dial-up.

However, since this is going to 5.1 getting the full download when you can on broadband will give you a copy to save on your hard disk, should you ever need to reinstall.

mokkaman

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 04:47:08 AM »
try unlocker for safely removing. right click on the drive u need to safely remove- select unlocker..it ll show which application prevents from safely removing, select them and click "unlock all".. after this u can do safely remove.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 04:58:41 PM »
Right.  Exactly.  It's always great to have the Setup File handy just in case one needs it in an emergency.  So yeah, I'll just wait.  My avast Manual Scans as well as my MBAM and SUPERAnti-Spyware Scans always come up clean anyway.  So, it's not likely I'll be taking some HUGE risk and living on the edge :o by waiting a week or two more to update to 5.1.889.

I'll see if I Google up some Reviews on that USB Ejector in the meantime.
I want to see how legit it is.