Author Topic: Avast (Free) v5.1.x blocks AOL software from connecting  (Read 27845 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast (Free) v5.1.x blocks AOL software from connecting
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »
Have a quick question,,I've installed another anti-virus program already and I can "turn" it off so to speak. I don't want to uninstall it until i find out if the disabling of the shields will temporaryly fix this,,,so my question is,,,can I re-install avast without uninstalling the other program and leave it off,,and if this temp fix works I'll just uninstall that other program. Thanks

I'm sure in your job you know you can't do things in half measure, it has to be all out or nothing.

You have to uninstall it, you can't just turn it off as it still loads low level drivers and that could conflict with avast, even possibly during installation and that would make it a pointless trial.

The official work around of uninstalling the Behaviour Shield is working for others, so that is the way I would go.

OK I am going to try it.....It worked. Please let me know what the investigation. Is it safe to keep that shield unistalled?

You have the opportunity to do a custom install of avast 5.1.889 and during that custom install you can uncheck the Behaviour Shield during the install and not need to do it after.

Download 5.1.889 before uninstalling the other AV, reboot and do a custom install of avast 5.1.889.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:14:11 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TitaniumDust

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 10:25:39 PM »
I can confirm that the workaround of uninstalling / not installing the behaviour shield with v5.1.889 works here, running Windows 7 x64.  I personally don't use AOL but the other two machines that do were able to log in successfully.  I have to assume everything else with AOL is fine, but I will report here if the AOL users report any trouble after re-installing build 889 without the behaviour shield.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:28:52 PM by TitaniumDust »

fire

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »
My very last question b 4 I try this,,can I just uncheck the behavior shields after I install avast using the interface? I don't know if I can do any changes using my control panel, if I read one of the posts correctly it says you use your control panel. I'm a computer novice so all of this is kinda hard for me. I have to go out,,will try to reinstall later on. I will also uninstall the MSE I installed prior to reinstalling avast and let everyone know how i made out.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 10:49:21 PM »
You have to follow the instruction as given there is no uninstall option within the avastUI.

You have posted in so many topics it is hard to keep track but I have posted an image of the add remove programs, change interface. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69664.msg585071#msg585071.

All you have to do is get into the control panel, I don't know what OS you are using as you haven't created a signature in your forum Profile. But if you use the windows Help and Support, search for Control Panel or Add Remove Programs and that should point you in the right direction.

You should be able to access it from windows explorer as there is usually a link to the Control Panel, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fire

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 12:15:01 AM »
Wow good results,,did as advised and can get on AOL but could someone tell me what "behavior shields" are and when this gets fixed is it an easy thing to reinstall that component. I'm sorry I have so many posts but when it comes to computer problems I get really worried about how to fix things as I'm a real novice. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:25:45 AM by fire »

YoKenny

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 12:23:03 AM »
I'm sorry I have so many posts but when it comes to computer problems I can really worried about how to fix things as I'm a real novice. Thanks
Please use Show new replies to your posts.

That's right below MY MESSAGES LOGOUT

I don't know what OS you are using as you haven't created a signature in your forum Profile
It would help if you added a signature with system information.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 12:29:27 AM »
The behaviour shield is looking out for strange/unusual behaviour.

- avast! Behaviour Shield, general information from an interview Softpedia - Ondrej Vlcek
Ondrej Vlcek: The Behaviour Shield that we shipped in version 5.0 is a new component that is going to be further developed moving forward. For example, in version 5.1, we will be adding more sensors that will allow for even finer-grain filtering.

For now, the Behaviour Shield is focused on exploits coming via typical mechanisms (browser, PDF reader, and flash vulnerabilities, for example). It also closely monitors all kernel-mode code (drivers) loaded into the operating system, and is able to detect zero-day rootkits.

Also see, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68607.0:
Quote from: Vlk
If you set it to Ask, it will alert you a suspicious behaviour is detected, with the ability to take actions accordingly.

As I already said in one of the other threads:
The Behaviour Shield works only in "passive mode", which means that the new sensors will be active but won't be stopping the attacks, just reporting them to our backend infrastructure (unless you have opted out from the avast! community membership). This is to allow us to collect enough data before enabling the protective layers in Q1 2011.

Thanks
Vlk

Reinstalling is simply the reverse of what I said earlier in my last post, Reply #33 above.

ShaneTalbot

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »
Reporting back - Uninstalling the behavior shield has proven successful. Disabling it - not so much.

Our engineers have been working closely with Avast engineers and it's sounding like good progress is being made. So hang in there!

Shane

Globalpilot

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 03:17:37 AM »
David

Had the same problem with Avast blocking my AOL connection after the latest software update. After several calls to TS (And Avast agents denied it was a problem with the Avast software) and losing half a days work with no resolution I found your info.

By your advise I uninstalled Avast and AOL.   Reinstalled AOL without Avast and program returned to normal.

I reinstalled Avast Internet Security without the Behavior shields and rebooted computer.

AOL functions normal now with both programs installed minus the behavior shields.

Running windows 7 (64 Bit)

Hopefully you can resolve this situation and release a patch or a software update soon.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »
You're welcome, hopefully it will soon be resolved.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 03:03:08 PM »
Hi guys,

the problem should supposedly be fixed by the virus definition update 110120-0 released about 12 hours ago (unless you have changed the avast update settings, you will receive [or already have received] this update automatically).

Anyone experiencing the problem, can you please confirm?

BTW please note that it may take one more reboot after the update is installed to actually resolve the problem.

Many thanks for your patience.
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

fire

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 03:27:39 PM »
Vlk,,, is it really necessary to reinstall the behavior shield,,and if so,,how do you install just that,,please understand I'm a computer novice and don't have alot of experience with this type stuff,,,thanks. If the shield isn't completely necessary I don't want to screw anything up .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »
Yes you should as it will become another useful shield, currently it is passive, gathering data to fine tune its rules/filters before going active in this quarter. The reversal of the process can be done relatively easily as I said before in one of your other topics.

Control Panel, Add remove programs, Avast, Change/Remove, Change and reselect the Behaviour shield, click Next and OK your way out.

fire

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »
Thanks,,I think I'll wait to reinstall until I read others that have and haven't experienced the same problem.

YoKenny

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 09:20:36 PM »
Thanks,,I think I'll wait to reinstall until I read others that have and haven't experienced the same problem.
I see that 110120-2 update is available now and according to Vlk Posted on: Today at 09:03:08 the issue should be resolved after a reboot.