Author Topic: Avast (Free) v5.1.x blocks AOL software from connecting  (Read 27744 times)

jazzman

Re: Avast (Free) v5.1.x blocks AOL software from connecting
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 04:39:03 AM »
I also have this problem. Avast 5.1 does not block IE8, Firefox or Opera. Kaspersky and Microsoft Security Essentials don't block AOL. There's no problem with Avast and AOL until I shut down the computer and power up again. If I disable all the shields, it sometimes works. For another day, I will exist without anti-virus software, then I will install the best I can find compatible with AOL.

CharleyO, if you are reading this, I enjoyed your presentation on Thursday,

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 03:13:21 PM »
Guys, could you please try uninstalling the Behavior Shield and see if it resolves the problem?

Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> avast! -> Change -> untick the Behavior Shield box, and reboot the computer.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

LadyLinda

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »
Just wanted to say that I upgraded Avast to 5.1.889 over the weekend and am also running AOL 9.6.
I had no problem w/either software, my problem is more cosmetic, which I'll put in my own thread.
No one mentioned what O/S they are running, but I'm on WinXP. 

jazzman

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 04:45:45 PM »
Vik, I stopped the behavior shield, and it didn't solve the problem with AOL9.6. I use Windows7.

LadyLinda, have you shut down your computer and powered it up again? Did AOL9.6 still work?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
If you didn't uninstall it, rather than stopping it, that may not have the desired affect ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 05:50:55 PM »
but I'm on WinXP. 
This seems to be happening on win 64 bit edition, according to what I have learned.

ShaneTalbot

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 05:51:19 PM »
Hiya Folks,

Shane from AOL here.  We have reached out to Avast regarding the complaints we've been seeing and hearing to help find a solution for both our customers.  In the meantime you should still be able to access everything you need from AOL by visiting AOL.com.  In our testing the disabling the shields has not proven successful in all cases, however uninstalling has.  We don't want to see you running w/o any AV protection, so our best advice is to use aol.com until we can figure out what's up.

Hope this is helpful!  

Shane

(edit: spelling!)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:56:50 PM by ShaneTalbot »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 06:26:58 PM »
Hi Shane, welcome to the forum :)

Did you test/try uninstalling just the Behavior Shield as Vlk suggested ? Because there is no feedback so far about that option.

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:28:30 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

ShaneTalbot

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 06:35:52 PM »
In our testing we've tried the "disable all shields" option and uninstalling the product completely.  I wasn't aware of the ability to uninstall a single piece of the application.  I'll do some testing and report back.

Another sidenote that may be of interest to the forum.  We have found that this is difficult to replicate on a "clean machine"  (freshly installed OS, AOL and Avast.)  The problem does not seem to replicate under those conditions.  However "machines in the field" where users have multiple applications installed we've been able to replicate. 

Does this Behavior Shield take in account the number of open ports / connections of a particular type?

Shane

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Does this Behavior Shield take in account the number of open ports / connections of a particular type?

I have no idea. But I will contact Vlk with your question.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »
We're now working on this.
I'd like to ask for a little patience here. In the meantime, please use avast with Behavior Shield uninstalled (see my post above).

Thanks, and sorry for the hassle.
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

AvastPrincess

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »
I did as you advised Vik, and it worked. I uninstalled that shield, and it rebooted and I am currently on AOL. When I look at the shields in my Avast, that one does not even show up anymore. The thing that concerns me, is how vulnerable am I without the behavior shield in place? I really hope you guys come up with a solution soon. I have never seen anything like this before. AOL affects a lot of people! I know you did not intend for this to happen of course, but this is pretty big. It also caused many people unnecessary hours of them making unnecessary changes to their computer only to realize it was Avast of all things! Frustrating. I really hope you guys get this fixed and soon. Thank you for your help and the suggestion about the Behavior Shield. Have a great afternoon.....  :)

I'm sure you are doing all you can, and its greatly appreciated.

fire

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 09:37:25 PM »
I have the same problem but I've already un-installed avast and I am using another anti-virus program til this gets resolved so I don't know if I should re-install avast and then try to disable the shields. I run windows 7 and everything everyone here has posted is happening to me,,do you think if I went back to 5.0.677 it would fix this til the bug gets worked out,,the link is here,,

http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

I,ve un-installed and re-installed avast numerous times today so i don't know if I've done any thing to screw things up beyond the original problem. I know everyone is trying to get this fixed ASAP and I do appreciate your efforts.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:44:03 PM by fire »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
The official work around whilst they are investigating this would be the preferred option as you would retain the other advantages of 5.1.889.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fire

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 10:05:14 PM »
Have a quick question,,I've installed another anti-virus program already and I can "turn" it off so to speak. I don't want to uninstall it until i find out if the disabling of the shields will temporaryly fix this,,,so my question is,,,can I re-install avast without uninstalling the other program and leave it off,,and if this temp fix works I'll just uninstall that other program. Thanks I really would rather use avast as I think its a great program!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:14:39 PM by fire »