Author Topic: Can I run an Avast scan and Malwarebyte scan at the same time?  (Read 24859 times)

Mo0nwalker

Can I run an Avast scan and Malwarebyte scan at the same time?
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
To minimize the time use? Or would it conflict or give some bad result?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Can I run an Avast scan and Malwarebyte scan at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 01:40:59 PM »
Not 100% sure but i would think that each would have a better chance of detecting the nasties by running individually, if you ran them together you wouldnt want to get lockup's.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 04:41:54 PM »

Run one after the other...!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »

By trying to run them concurrently you are likely to actually slow the overall scan duration, as avast's real-time scanner will be at work also as it scans what MBAM opens for scanning. So you will get duplication of scanning, etc. this will also increase resource use CPU and RAM which could add to the overall time of the avast on-demand scan and MBAM scan.

I used to advocate pausing the avast resident scanner when running third party scans to avoid this duplication of scan, increased use of resources, extending the overall scan duration and the possibly conflict between the two scanners. I have systems which are powerful enough and have enough resources for it not to be an issue, but I still tend not to run simultaneous scans.

One thing you didn't mention is if you are using the free or Pro version of MBAM, as this could add another level of complexity to the question ?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:56:07 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 06:01:53 PM »
To minimize the time use?
and for your weekly or daily scan you only have to use quick scan, and that should not take long

jimmy_d

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 06:26:27 PM »
Hi,

I am having the exact same and related questions, so I hope that its alright to add my questions here. I only refer to the freeware (on-demand scanner) version of MBAM.

I used to advocate pausing the avast resident scanner when running third party scans to avoid this duplication of scan, increased use of resources, extending the overall scan duration and the possibly conflict between the two scanners.

I can 100% confirm your statement that Avast is scanning everything while MBAM scans. Is this double scanning specific to Avast or would any AV-software do that? Does this behavior have any negative effects on my system? I saw that there is a high CPU usage of both mbam.exe and avastsvc.exe with this double scanning, but it fluctuated and was ok in the end. Scan time of MBAM did not increase significantly.

To sum up: do I have to/should I deactive Avast or certain components while scanning with MBAM? (Didnt have to do this with other AV-software before)

Thanks to all!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:28:45 PM by jimmy_d »

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 06:33:02 PM »
I can 100% confirm your statement that Avast is scanning everything while MBAM scans. Is this double scanning specific to Avast or would any AV-software do that? Does this behavior have any negative effects on my system? I saw that there is a high CPU usage of both mbam.exe and avastsvc.exe with this double scanning, but it fluctuated and was ok in the end. Scan time of MBAM did not increase significantly.

To sum up: do I have to/should I deactive Avast or certain components while scanning with MBAM? (Didnt have to do this with other AV-software before)
Any good AV-software would do that.

I have MBAM Pro and have not had to deactivate avast! while the morning Quick scan runs nor the Flash scan runs on MBAM updates.

MikeRepairs

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 07:09:04 PM »
To prevent Avast from scanning everything while MBAM scans, you should exclude MBAM in Avast Settings - Exclusions:

How to exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) from Avast! 5.x:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Add these Exclusions to Avast as appropriate to your version of Windows

* Open Avast! and click on Settings - Exclusions:
    * Copy and paste the file path text below (one line at a time) into the "enter path" box.

Select the entries below, as appropriate to your version of Windows:
Click OK when done.

For Windows XP:

Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\*
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\*

For Windows Vista and Windows 7 32 bit:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\*

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\*
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\*

Click on OK
Close Avast!

Add Avast to the MBAM Ignore List (MBAM version 1.50 or higher)

Opem MBAM, click on "Ignore List", click "Add"
Browse for this folder:
C:\Program Files\Alwil SoftwareClick "OK", click "Exit".

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:10:42 PM by MikeRepairs »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
<snip>
I used to advocate pausing the avast resident scanner when running third party scans to avoid this duplication of scan, increased use of resources, extending the overall scan duration and the possibly conflict between the two scanners.

Thanks to all!

Generally this double scanning will happen with any good resident AV as that is essentially its job, to scan files before they are opened, etc.

You don't have to disable anything, you just need to know the overheads and the potential for conflict and decide based on your own system if you need to stop the file system shield whilst doing another security scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
Two things, Avast! absolutely does scan at the same time Malwarebytes does and doesn't seem to slow anything down at all. I consider this to be desirable.

Secondly, even the maker of MBAM says that a quick scan is all you should ever have to do with that program. They constantly update the program to scan in the locations where malware has been known to insert itself or make changes, it's part of the database. If the malware is not in their database, it won't be detected anyway and a full scan will offer no further benefit than a quick one.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 07:24:03 PM »
To prevent Avast from scanning everything while MBAM scans, you should exclude MBAM in Avast Settings - Exclusions:

How to exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) from Avast! 5.x:
<snip>

Sorry but that won't stop avast from scanning files that MBAM opens to scan, if those files are scanned in place, then depending on the file type avast will scan them (generally those that present an immediate risk, executables and those targeted by malware). By excluding MBAM files only excludes those files from being scanned, it doesn't ignore/exclude the processes/actions, e.g. the files it opens for scanning.

This mask covers all files in the folder so all of the files excluded in the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware before this are a waste of time anyway.

Excluding a complete folder will obviously leave it less secure as nothing in it would be scanned.

I only have the free version and I have nothing for MBAM excluded on my XP or win7 systems.

~~~~
The major area to exclude in MBAM (Pro) for avast isn't actually in the avast folder but in c:\windows\temp\_avast5_ folder as that is where avast unpacks files it is going to scan.

MikeRepairs

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »
MBAM 1.50 dropped the zlib.dll
My list was correct for current versions of MBAM. I got this list from the MBAM forum.
I and many of my customers use the Pro version of MBAM.
I am currently reviewing what David R said, thanks
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:44:27 PM by MikeRepairs »

hayc59

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 07:42:43 PM »
Why would you not just do the 'whole' Malwarebytes 'Program' Folder?
thats what I was told to do....

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 07:53:43 PM »
MBAM 1.50 dropped the zlib.dll
My list was correct for current versions of MBAM. I got this list from the MBAM forum.
I and many of my customers use the Pro version of MBAM.
I am currently reviewing what David R said, thanks
Do you have a link for those latest exclusion's on the MBAM forum as i cant find them, i can only find the one's that i have show'n here.

MikeRepairs

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
@CraigB
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&st=0&p=167851&#entry167851
They do not specifically say for Avast, so refer to AVG.
They tell you to exclude the directories, then they show the list. Note that zlib.dll is no longer used in the current version of MBAM as of 1.50
I have read in their forum that Avast 5 works without these exclusions though. But I use the MBAM pro version and thought it might help performance to add the exclusions anyway. I am open to corrections though.
I already added C:\Windows\Temp\_avast5_ to MBAM ignore list
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:12:18 PM by MikeRepairs »