Author Topic: Can I run an Avast scan and Malwarebyte scan at the same time?  (Read 24855 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Can I run an Avast scan and Malwarebyte scan at the same time?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 08:06:20 PM »
This is the only exclusion i use as well in MBAM C:\Windows\Temp\_avast5, i deleted all the other exclusion's for MBAM in avast several weeks ago as per discussion's with DavidR and have had no problem's or slow down's what so ever.

hayc59

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »
Interesting and thanks folks!
can you list in this section just what is needed to exclude in avast
for Malwarebytes Pro? thank you

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »
Interesting and thanks folks!
can you list in this section just what is needed to exclude in avast
for Malwarebytes Pro? thank you
The exclusion's for MBAM in avast are all listed on the previous page but as discussed they are not needed, if you were to include the exclusions you would have to add them to the settings exclusion's as well as the file system shield exclusion's.

YoKenny

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »
I do not have any MBAM files in my avast! Exclusions.

They are only needed with avast! AIS for the firewall I believe. 

Dch48

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »
I have nothing whatsoever in Avast! exclusions and have no problems.

Nesivos

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 08:54:45 PM »
Man I don't know about this whole thing with Malwarebytes.

I have been using it as a secondary Malware program running in batch mode for about as long as I have been using Avast free and now AIS about two years.  I don't think that Malwarebytes has found more than one or two bad files over the two years.

I still run it in batch mode because you never know and it is no hassle to run it once a week that way.

However to me at least based upon my experience since running AIS running any Malware program real time is not worth the the drain on resources and potential conflicts for what it gives you.  

I do run Windows Defender real time but that is because I consider it part of the Windows 7 Operating System, even though one could argue that it isn't and it has never conflicted with anything and my Windows 7 computers.   It comes with Windows 7 and I just set it up when I got the my Windows 7 computers.  Since then I have left it alone and actually check once every several months or so to see if it is actually still running because that is the only way I know that it is there and running.  While it might create some drain on the computer's processing power I still leave it because again I consider part of the Windows 7 operating system just like I do the Windows Firewall which I have left on.

Since I have been using AIS I have found a couple of questionable programs using batch AV scanners like on-line ESET and Dr. Web that AIS does not classify as infected or questionable and have just deleted them.  However Malwarebytes never Identified them as such and they could be false positives.

I think when you running AIS, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall that running Malwarebytes in real-time mode is unnecessary overkill.

Just my not to popular opinion :) :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:57:09 PM by Nesivos »

MikeRepairs

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »

... I think running Malwarebytes in real-time mode is unnecessary overkill. ...

If you only have Avast! Free, I highly recommend MBAM Pro real time protection. The web site blocking blocks "drive by" exploits on web sites before they get on the computer.

YoKenny

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 09:09:10 PM »
If you only have Avast! Free, I highly recommend MBAM Pro real time protection. The web site blocking blocks "drive by" exploits on web sites before they get on the computer.
+1

Nesivos

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 09:27:26 PM »

... I think running Malwarebytes in real-time mode is unnecessary overkill. ...

It is worth the money getting and installing AIS rather than using some combo.   Better to save up the pennies that it cost to get an AIS license and purchase the AIS license.  Just my opinion :)

CharleyO

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »

By now, most of you are actually Off Topic. Read the Original Post again.

This thread is about running 2 scanners at once and not about the 2 scanners detecting each others files. It is about 2 different scans trying to scan the same files accessed by each scanner at the same time.

It has already been stated why it is not a good idea to run 2 scans at the same time in the first 5 or 6 replies.

If you want to discuss excluding each scanner from the other scanner, start your own thread about it and stop hijacking this one.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:43:00 AM by CharleyO »

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »
Many people say you mustn't install more than 1 antivirus into your PC. That's a lie. You can.
* None of your antivirus can be "jealous". Bit-Defentes, for example, is and uninstalls your Avast if you put it into your PC.
* If you have a couple of Antivirus in your PC, one of them has to be the "boss" the others its "slaves". Only the "boss" can do realtime-scanning, whereas this function cannot be active in the "slaves", which only run, when cliced by you, after scanning of the whole HD by the "boss".
I prefer Avast Free as the "boss", because it is one of the most comfortable free antivirus.
* Malwarebytes Free (not its trial version) fits quite well with Avast Free, because it does not have any realtime-scanning at all (its trial version however has). After "scanning at initiation" with Avast Malwarebytes detects almost all PUPs and PUMs, which are quite hard for Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »
Many people say you mustn't install more than 1 antivirus into your PC. That's a lie. You can.
* None of your antivirus can be "jealous". Bit-Defentes, for example, is and uninstalls your Avast if you put it into your PC.
* If you have a couple of Antivirus in your PC, one of them has to be the "boss" the others its "slaves". Only the "boss" can do realtime-scanning, whereas this function cannot be active in the "slaves", which only run, when cliced by you, after scanning of the whole HD by the "boss".
<snip>

First there is little benefit in breathing life into a topic that is almost three and a half years old as programs will have changed massively in that time.

No lie, your example of one AV uninstalling the previous one, is done for a single purpose, to prevent them from conflicting.

If there was no issue why would you have to take such measures to have one as the boss.

Resident AVs even when you disable the resident cover are still going to have the low level drivers running and it is these which can conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 04:48:57 PM »
ogalofofo you seem to be of the assumption that Malwarebytes is an anti-virus and it's not which is why it can be run alongside anti-viruses :)